Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Next up on Tuesday? The Amazing Race: Family Edition. Ok, so while I'm not such a fan of the whole "family edition" thing, Amazing Race is still one of the best reality shows on tv. But Tuesday's episode should have been named "Why I hate the Weaver family."

I know, that sounds harsh. You're probably wondering how I could hate a family that I've only seen on tv. Or, you could have watched the show, and be hating them along with me. First of all, don't give me any more of this "feel-sorry-for-us-our-dad-died-and-now-we-have-to-run-this-race" stuff. Let me remind you that you applied for the show. That's right -- it was your decision to go on national television. Let's all just remember that every time they want us to feel sorry for them -- they decided to go on the show.

Next, I consider myself a religous person. I believe in God. I pray. But there is a big difference between praying and asking God to run errands for you. "Please God, help me open this jar of pickles." Wasn't this an episode of The Simpsons? Didn't it not work out so well for Homer? Did it ever cross your mind that God's first priority might not be deciding who wins The Amazing Race? And what makes it even worse, is their behavior at the Yield. After being rude to every team (or did you not remember when you asked the driver of the other boat to go slower?), they were shocked that someone would want to yield them. They then proceeded to make fun of people on the other teams...that one team posed in front of a garbage truck, that another girl looked like she had "fake boobs", that another kid looked "retarded" (which, by the way, is a horrible horrible horrible thing to call someone). They then proceeded to say that they would never play dirty (who knew that yielding someone was playing dirty?) because they "answer to a higher authority." Really? How on earth did you not get crushed by the irony?

At the same time, I decided I loved the Gaghan family. With their 2 little kids, they stayed positive, and supported each other through the whole race. They took time to appreciate the majesty of where they were. And I loved it when the dad said that they would come back to Costa Rica for their vacation so they could see more of the country. What great parents. (note to self...be supportive to future children...) I was so bummed to see them be eliminated.

The episode itself was really good. I loved the coffee bean challenge -- reminded me a lot of unrolling the bales of hay in Sweeden a few years ago...total luck. And they are finally out of the United States. That's my favorite part of the show -- getting to see all the places in the world that someone like me (read: a 29 year-old without a passport) has never seen. Costa Rica looked amazing -- I wish I could go.

Maybe the Weavers will be eliminated next week...

No comments: