Monday, November 21, 2005

Alright, I'm not afraid to admit it. I cried during tonight's episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. What an amazing family. And what an amazing kid.

The thing about this show is that it makes you realize how thankful we should be for all we have. Of course, when you're a rabid Red Sox fan, and the house that they are doing is for a family of Red Sox fans, jealousy creeps in as well. For those of you who were wondering, when Ed said that the Green Monster is the Holy Grail for Red Sox fans, he wasn't exaggerating (inside the Monster are the signatures of hundreds of players that have played at Fenway...wow) In my Red Sox room (yes, I do have a Red Sox room in my house...my husband, though, prefers to call it "the basement") I don't have lamps or pillows or signed bats. I don't have a replica of the Green Monster. I don't have a Red Sox bedroom set. And I certainly don't have Curt Schilling in my closet. (and I LOVED how the biggest concern of Mrs. Johnson was that Curt was supposed to be pitching that day!) But if I can't have all that stuff, I'm glad that the Johnsons do. Did you hear that the older kids have given up birthday presents so they could make donations? THIS is why this family deserves a home makeover.

One thing that ABC didn't mention (and I wish they had) was what happened after the crews left. Because the family had all new furniture, they had to do something with their old furniture. So they staged an "Extreme Home Yard Sale." All the money they raised went to support research to help kids with Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Curt Schilling came back as well, and did his part to help raise money, giving autographs & photos for a donation to the fund.

So I've stopped crying, and stopped wondering where I can get a Red Sox jersey beadspread. And I've gone back to being so thankful for my family and friends and the many blessings in my life. What a perfect way to start the week of Thanksgiving.

No comments: