Friday, March 02, 2007

America does not like "Feeling Good"

Last time I checked, we are only in the second week of vote-offs of Idol. But it seemed like the contestants didn’t get the memo.

Like any other results show, the name of the game is naked cruelty. Stand up, sit down, front row, back row – the poor contestants are put through the ringer. Don’t get me wrong – I love to watch (that sounded dirty somehow…). And usually this early on the singers who stay are usually just relieved to make it through for another week. But not last night. Instead, we had to see shot after shot of Sundance sobbing as each of his fellow contestants were eliminated (Hello! Less competition for you!!). It was absurd. And we had Alaina so shaken by her elimination (and seriously, how could she not see it coming) that she needed all the girls to come up and sing for her. I love this show, but I don’t think I can take another week of that.

The results themselves were actually quite shocking. Sanjaya was the worst guy by a mile, and somehow he is sticking around. And AJ, who was really good this week is going home. Nick went home as well, and while he was probably a bottom guy, he shouldn’t have gone home before Sanjaya and Brandon. For the girls, Antonella showed us that naked pictures on the net trumps bad singing. Great. So not only do we lose Alaina (who was the only non-surprise of the night), Leslie gets booted as well. I did find it interesting that Leslie and AJ sang the same song ("Feeling Good") – as Leslie pointed out at the very end, America clearly doesn’t like jazz. I don't know why people keep voting for Sanjaya. And I don't know why I care.

No comments: