Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sometimes It All Comes Down to a Flight

Past contestants on The Amazing Race often talk about the "great airport equalizer." But tonight the airport didn't just equalize the race, it determined it.

I thought that I was going to be upset about the lack of flights causing such a gap between the teams. But it's all stars. I'm actually surprised that a team didn't take a chance early on and simply book the first flight to a major city. It took the back three teams nearly two days to get to their destination. There had to have been a better option, especially since they had all that time where they could have gone back to the hotel and perhaps do some research on the internet. So there's no excuse for spending two nights on the floor of the airport (though I do feel a little bit bad for Eric & Danielle - I can't believe they got pulled off of the plane).

The thing I really took away from this leg of the race was how much I hate Mirna & Charla. Mirna in particular. Does she not realize how rude and condescending she is to the people she meets? I've had more than enough of the fake accent. I know that part of our perception of the teams comes down to edit. But they can only edit what you give them. And when you give them shot after shot of being downright disrespectful, that's what they're going to show us.

A side note about editing. Did anyone else notice that there were two times in the airport that Terri's voice over was really strangely dubbed? Almost as if they cut it from four different interviews. Very very odd.

So after a strange few days at the airport (and a weather delay once they landed...I wonder if that delay was for real...), Mirna & Shmirna held their lead, and the 30 minute penalty on Uchenna & Joyce didn't matter at all. And nearly a day later, Terri & Ian were eliminated. Of course...just as I was starting to like them.

No comments: