Monday, March 05, 2007

The "Dannys" sing on Grease

A friend asked me over the weekend about Grease: You’re the One That I Want. They had seen bits and pieces, and wanted to know if it was as bad as it looked. My answer: no. It’s worse.

I can’t explain why I keep watching it. It’s not for the blog – there have been shows that have been so bad that even I can’t watch them (and, let’s review, I watched every episode of Paradise Hotel AND Temptation Island). For some strange reason, I find myself caring; I just keep thinking if I stick it out for the rest of the show it will somehow be worth it.

The guys sang last night, and they weren’t that good. And the judges continued to shower their love on Max, who doesn’t look like Danny at all, or even sound that good. I don’t know why they love him, or why they think that having him in the lead role will sell tickets. But hey, it’s their money, right? I also didn’t understand what the deal was with the screaming girl while Austin was singing. Seriously, did anyone hear this? It sounded like someone was being murdered in the audience. If you can watch his performance online, do it, just to hear this poor girl. And it was only during Austin’s song – either she just really really loves him, or they removed her from the audience for the rest of the show. Either way, I would love to meet her.

There was one interesting moment (ok, interesting for me) in the taped pieces. They showed the contestants getting their assigned songs. Why don’t they get to choose what they sing? And if they are assigned songs, doesn’t that change the competition a bit? Everyone who has sung a song that didn’t really match their voice, or was “too big” for them – it wasn’t really their fault. If I were assigned a song that didn’t showcase my voice, I would NOT be pleased.

We also learned the fate of the girls from last week. Allie & Kathleen were in the bottom two (and since there are only four girls left, it’s not that hard to do). And after they sang, the judges eliminated Kathleen. For whatever reason, they also made it very clear that it wasn’t a unanimous decision. Why we needed to know that isn’t clear at all. Then again, neither is my need to keep watching this show.

No comments: