Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Another night of Idol, another night of cheesy dedications. Seriously – who thought that this was a good idea?

Gina started the night out with a good performance. She started out iffy, but the second half was really good. Of course, I’m a little disturbed that I had the same thought as Simon about her outfit. It just didn’t fit her or the song. Creepy, I know. Alaina was next, stating that she was singing a well known song, as if that was somehow a positive. It’s not. You can’t possibly sing it as well as the Dixie Chicks (or whatever well known artist you are choosing), and you know that Simon will talk about how unoriginal your performance was. And sure enough, it wasn’t a very good performance. It started out ok, then went rapidly downhill. It’s going to be tough for her to stay in the competition.

The real bummer of the night is that Lakisha and Melinda sang so early in the show. They are both phenomenal, and sang amazingly again tonight. But I so look forward to hearing them both sing – you have to figure that the rest of the show is simply going to be a let down. I simply don’t understand how these two girls have gone so long without anyone offering them a recording contract. And regardless of which of them wins (because you have to assume at this point it will be one of them…maybe even both of them in the finale), they will both have huge careers.

Another bummer of the night – no mention of the controversy swirling around Antonella. In case you are living under a rock, there are naked pictures out on the net. Some say they’re not actually her, some think that some of them are her, some think they’re all her. And no one said a word. It doesn’t much matter – her performance was enough to get her voted off this week anyways. I’m not so musical, but even I could recognize how out of tune it was. Jordin followed it up with a really good performance. I forget that she’s a power player in this show as well.

Stephanie was good as well. I don’t know why I’m not so gung ho about her, since she really is a good singer. Hmmm. Leslie made a very poor song choice – it was the same song that one of the guys sang last night (and sang much better). She was ok, but not great. She’ll probably make it through one more week, but not to the top 12.

Haley was better tonight than last week. That’s the good news. The bad news was that she still wasn’t very good. She has to be a front-runner for a plane ticket home tomorrow night. Sabrina closed the show on a high note. I really like her too. I guess we can add her name to the list of favorites. And I guess I was wrong about there not being anyone to look forward to later in the show. She rocked.

I'm still not ready to invest the time in voting, and that may just be a good thing - there were a bunch of girls who deserved my vote tonight...Gina, Lakisha, Melinda, Jordin, and Sabrina. And who will be voted off? It should be Alaina and Antonella. But the pictures controversy (and the fact that she is the female choice on votefortheworst.com) may help her to stay and send Haley home instead.

No comments: