Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Top 12 Perform on Idol

Even though I like a lot of Diana Ross songs, I hate that this was the theme for the first week. The judges keep talking about how much better the girls are than the guys, then they make the guys sing Diana Ross songs? I just don’t think it’s right.

I don’t even know where to start with tonight’s show. So many of them were so bad, I feel ridiculous for writing it over and over for each contestant. There were a few that I liked a lot more than the judges. But I agreed with them for the most part. The bottom line, though, is that it’s the songs. It’s one of those themes that is good for a few, and is horrible for most. I’m sure they do it on purpose, but it just seems mean. I think that the strategy for tonight should have just taken a straight forward song, gone out there, and just sung it straight – essentially just sing to get through the week, then make an impact and be creative when the theme is better suited to your voice.

Rather than belabor the point, let’s just recap. There were the singers that the judges hated, and I couldn’t agree more. Brandon made a good song choice, but did a bad job singing it. How do you not remember the words to such a popular song? Then there’s Sanjaya, who may be the worst singer to ever make it this far in the show. He looks more and more like a girl every week. If he stays on much longer he’s going to be in a dress and heels. That performance was horrible. Who on earth is voting for him?

Then there were the singers that the judges didn’t like very much, but I didn’t think were that bad. They hated Chris Sligh, but he was in a no-win situation with the theme, and decided to take a chance (isn’t that what they keep saying they want from people?) with the song. I liked it, and I actually loved the arrangement of “Endless Love” that he sang. I also liked Gina tonight as well. And I agreed with Simon that Haley’s song started much better than Randy and Paula gave her credit for – you could tell that she’s a good singer and that her nerves really got to her. (and yes, the second half of the song wasn’t very good, but let’s focus on the positives for a minute or two…yes, I just said that…) And I really liked Chris Richardson as well. I still think that he is the smartest performer – he has song selection down. I don’t know how a guy could have done Diana Ross better.

There were a few that were pretty good in spite of what they were singing. I liked Phil’s performance. And I liked Blake, even though I think it would have sounded better a little faster. Stephanie was pretty good, though with her voice she should have sounded a lot better than she did. She should never have gone ahead with that arrangement – way too safe.

Finally, there were a few singers that really shined. Melinda was good, but then again, she’s always good. Same with Lakisha. I think though that they’re this season’s shocker eliminations. Not now, but when we’re down to 5 or 6, they’ll get tripped up by country week. That’s right, I’m predicting it right now. Lakisha and Melinda, who are clearly the best singers in the competition, won’t win because one will go home during country week and one will go home when they do “British Invasion.” Jordin was also really good tonight. She’s not quite at the level of the other two, but she’s also a lot younger. She was definitely one of the top three tonight.

Now that we’re at the top 12, I’m actually thinking about voting. Who I would vote for is tough. Melinda. Lakisha and Jordin were clearly the best, so I guess I should vote for them. But I’m more inclined to vote for some of the performances that the judges hated but I liked. Both Chrises (seriously, will someone tell me the right way to write that?) and Gina seem to need some votes. And since I picked Blake to win it all I might vote for him too. Who should go home? That’s easy – Sanjaya.

No comments: