Sunday, February 18, 2007

Amazing Race All Stars Starts Tonight!

That's right, tonight is the premiere of The Amazing Race: All Stars. And aside from the fact that my tivo might explode this week (seriously, why are so many good shows on at the same time on Sunday and Thursday nights, when you can't find a single thing to watch on other nights?), I couldn't be more excited.

It's hard to handicap the field on TAR, since there's no voting off, and social skills don't play nearly as big of a role as on other shows. I certainly have my favorites that I will be rooting for. I LOVE Kevin & Drew - they were my favorites on their season, and I am so hoping to see them win this time around. I also really like Rob & Amber (yes, I know I am in the tiny minority on this one) and Dustin & Kandice (the beauty queens from last season). And I think that the new team of Eric & Danielle is one to root for as well.

Who don't I like? Well, they certainly brought back a few of my least favorite teams as well. I know that most people loved Teri & Ian on season 3, but I didn't. There was something about Ian that really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm also hoping for an early demise (though I doubt it will happen) for Uchenna & Joyce. I actually really liked them before, and they seem like good people, but they're the only previous winners on this race, and it just doesn't seem fair (especially since there were previous winners excluded who were far more likable). And I was never much a fan of Charla & Mirna, though they did provide us with some great tv.

I'm still bummed out by the selection of the All-Stars. I don't understand why only one team of winners were brought back, especially when so many previous winners wanted to do it again. (in some of the other all-star versions of shows, previous winners declined to do the show again...after all, why starve yourself on an island again when you already have the million). And while I understand that you need to have a few of the teams that everyone loves to hate, it seems like you could have done that with teams that were in the top three or four of their seasons. It would be a much better show with all extremely strong teams. It also is interesting that there are no "all-male-power-teams" this season. Hmmm...

I know, I just really danced around the question of who I think will win. Ok...I think that the Eric & Danielle would be my pre-race favorite to win, along with Rob & Amber and Dustin & Kandice. My "favorites" to go out early? Mary & David (who I love, but relied very heavily on their alliance last season), Oswald & Danny, and Charla & Mirna. Now watch, Rob & Amber will be eliminated tonight while Mary & David win it all.

No comments: