Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Top 12 Girls Perform

After last night's show (and mock fight between Ryan & Simon) I wasn't so sure about the top 12 girls performing tonight. But it turns out that the girls are actually pretty good.


Stephanie started out the show tonight for the girls with a totally different feel than last night. She sang well – better than her audition actually (and she sang well in her auditions). Of course, just as I was thinking that we could have an all-female final four, Amy continued last night’s trend of so-so performances. She wasn’t very good; I think that Simon is right that she won’t go far because people won’t remember her long enough to vote for her.

Leslie was up next; something about her just doesn’t seem quite right. I can’t put my finger on it…I don’t think she’ll be around long enough for me to figure it out. She just wasn’t very good. Thank goodness Sabrina was next – she was actually really good. She also has the tragically unhip parents going for her as well. (love that!) I also loved the juxtaposition of Sabrina saying she wasn’t going to choose a ballad (because they don’t work well in this round) and Antonella coming out and singing a ballad. It was not good – song selection song selection song selection. I also think that Antonella is this season’s Ayla Brown – a girl who is going to taste not getting what she wants for the first time.

I really liked Jordin. I was worried when Randy started talking that the judges weren’t going to be too kind, but I was glad to see that they recognized how good she really is. I agreed with the judges about Nicole as well. It just wasn’t that good – she’s way better than that song. I really do wonder about the song selection. Why would you choose a song that doesn’t make you sound incredible? That’s what Hayley did as well.

Thank goodness for girls like Melinda. She sounded incredible. She has to be a favorite to win it all at this point. Wow. It’s a shame that Alaina had to follow Melinda. It wasn’t good, but it wasn’t horrible either. If they had been reversed in the order, I think the reviews would have been a little bit kinder. I also think that Simon might be right…Ryan may just be a bit smitten with her.

I was surprised as well at Gina’s song choice. But like Randy, I thought that she rocked it out in the end. Tonight’s show ended on a high note with an incredible performance by Lakisha. I still contend that it was a poor song choice (she was amazing, but not as good as Jennifer Hudson, who so many have seen sing it recently), but she ROCKS. You just have to wonder how someone with such an amazing voice has gone undiscovered for so long. Regardless of whether or not she wins, she’ll get a recording contract for sure. And I loved seeing the faces of some of the girls afterwards – they clearly know that they’re not nearly as good as her.

No question about the best performances of the night – Lakisha, Sabrina, & Melinda. Wow. And who is probably going home? For me, it’s a toss-up between Amy, Leslie, Antonella. They’ll likely be the bottom three tomorrow night.

No comments: