Friday, February 23, 2007

3 Out in a Row for Ravu

After my tivo got a workout (seriously networks, why must you put my three favorite shows on at the same time? It's just not nice) last night, I finally saw a really entertaining episode of Survivor: Fiji. Things are starting to get interesting, even as we continue to see the self-destruction of a tribe.

I think why I like last night's episode was because of the challenges. Both challenges were REALLY good. I always like the gross food challenges (that is, I like watching them - I would never ever be able to stomach the mildest of the things they have to eat), but the reward challenge was especially fantastic. Watching them try to maneuver through the giant oiled-up slip and slide was some of the best tv ever. Then to have to go and shoot baskets on top of it...hee hee! Watching Silvia attempt to swim through the oil was hilarious; I also loved the match-up between Yau Man and "Dreamz" (and thank you Jeff Probst for calling him Dre - I feel like such a dweeb typing that nickname)...you just know that Dre's friends are giving him quite the ribbing for almost losing that race. And who knew that Gary ("Papa Smurf") was such an athlete?

Speaking of Gary, I don't really understand what happened to him. I also don't understand why he was allowed to take the medication that the medical team gave him (sounded like he was given tylenol). I thought that the rules didn't allow you to take medication without being disqualified. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that's what previous castaways had said (that was why Bruce two seasons ago didn't want the medics to come...if he had taken something, he risked being disqualified). I think that he's going to be out next week - they spent a lot of time on the storyline this week for nothing to come of it.

Ravu finally started to get some strength, all because of Michelle. I believe that she is the first castaway to ever start fire on her own (without anything provided by Survivor). On a couple of seasons they were able to start a fire with a magnifying glass from their first aid kit, but the first aid kit was provided to them. They just need to start drinking lots and lots and lots of water. Having fire could make all the difference in the world for them. I remember seeing an interview with Colby (Survivor: Outback and Survivor: All Stars) - he said that the secret to his success was how much water he drank. It kept him strong, and tricked his body into thinking it was getting more food than it was.

It seemed like being dehydrated played a huge part in Ravu losing their fourth straight challenge. Several of them claimed that they couldn't swallow the gross food because they didn't have enough saliva. What I really don't understand is why the rest of the tribe didn't start chugging water (they usually bring their canteens everywhere) once they saw the first person have problems because of lack of spit. I also didn't understand at first why the tribe was so upset with Anthony. But it turns out that the challenge lasted a lot longer than we saw on the show. The pig snout battle lasted somewhere in the 20-30 minute range; Anthony chewed that tiny bit of snout the entire time. So I guess I can see where the tribe would be upset that he's not giving it his all.

In the end, they voted out Silvia, who really should have gone home last week. You have to wonder what would have happened if they had had Erica in the challenges instead of Silvia. I also had to laugh about Silvia's last minute digging for the idol. She said today that there was ginger that she was digging up, so they may not have suspected anything. But there's the distinct possibility that someone who is not sent to exile will find the hidden immunity idol.

I think that we'll see a tribal mix-up soon. At least, I hope so - I can only take so much more of the disparity between the tribes.

No comments: