Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Top 12 Guys Perform on Idol

We're finally at the point of Idol where we get to vote. Hooray. But tonight's theme seemed to be "guys who didn't sing nearly as well as their original audition." Very strange.


Rudy started it off for the guys relatively well. He sounded good, but I agree with Randy – the performance was really corny. Next up was Brandon, the former backup singer. I really like him, even though tonight’s song wasn’t his best. I really wonder what he was thinking with his song choice. A different song would have made all the difference. He’ll be fine though – I would be shocked to see him voted off this week.

Sundance had been one of my favorites during the audition round, but he’s rapidly falling lower and lower on my list. Nothing he’s sung has sounded as good as that original audition. He has a big fan base, so he’ll probably be around another week, but not really based on tonight’s performance. Paul wasn’t much better after him – he’s another one who is just not living up to his original audition, and he probably won't be around next week.

I really like both Chrises (is that the plural of Chris?). Chris Richardson was up first, continuing the trend of guys not sounding nearly as good as their auditions. I just pray that he stays on the show so we can see more shots of his dad dancing. Oh my. Nick was next; he was someone who I was really glad made it to the top 24. I didn’t think his song tonight was as bad as Randy & Paula said. He played it safe, but he sang it well.

I have been very curious about Blake – bottom line is that the beat boxing doesn’t translate into an Idol win. But he can really sing. The judges got it right putting him through. Sanjaya was hurt by his song choice. You’ve got to wonder if his sister (who he said gave him the song, and was cut in Hollywood) did that on purpose.

Chris Sligh, my favorite of the two Chrises (seriously, that does not look right) finally lived up to the expectations. He was good, regardless of what the forever bickering judges thought. And the fact that he gave it back to Simon just made me love him even more. I generally don’t call in and vote this early, but I may just break my rule to send a vote Chris’s way. Jared was ok, though it seems like we’re back to singers who aren’t singing nearly as well as their original audition. He’s lucky that he’s so good looking – he won’t be going home any time soon.

A.J. was pretty good. I agree with Paula that the tone of his voice is really enjoyable. And I really liked the final performance of the night from Phil. I agree wholeheartedly with Randy - it started a little shaky, but when he got to the chorus it was amazing. Definitely the best of the night.

In the end, it wasn't the best night for the guys; I actually agree with Simon (and after watching the judges on Grease) I really appreciated the honesty. If I were going to vote tonight, it would be for Chris Sligh & Phil. I also really liked Nick & Blake. And which guys will be going home? Paul & Sanjaya would be my guess. Hopefully the girls will do better tomorrow.

No comments: