Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I want to thank the guys of American Idol. I don’t know how they did it, but they chose so many of my favorite songs, and, for the most part, sang them so well. Sigh…what a great night.

Who knew that I wasn’t the only one who loves “If You’re Not the One” by Daniel Bedingfield? (the song that Ace sang) I wasn’t a fan of the crazy high note, but it was a great version of the song. And what about Elliott singing “Moody’s Mood For Love”? A big risk, but one that really paid off – he sounded amazing. And we can’t forget my favorite, Chris, singing some Fuel. Wow. Simon was right – his was a performance that would hold up to anything else out there. Simply amazing.

There were others that sang selections from my list of favorite songs. Taylor showed that “Easy” isn’t just a song from a commercial. It’s such a great song, and he did a nice job with it. I just wish he would cut out the constant “woo”ing. Ugh. I also love “Thunder Rolls” by Garth Brooks, and I think Bucky did a great rendition.

There’s not much to say about Gedeon – I thought he was good, but not nearly as good as the judges made him out to be. He’s unique, and I think that’s a really good quality in this competition. But I don’t know if that can carry him all the way to the end. Then there’s Kevin. Here’s a fun trick with Kevin – when he sings, close your eyes. It is creepy. The voice and the look just don’t match. I think he’ll go far – for some reason, people love Kevin. He’s got a good voice, but I just wish he wouldn’t dance. It’s scary.

So that leaves the other end of the spectrum, or the guys who seemed to have missed my memo about my favorite songs. Our resident “rat pack” of Will and David disappointed a bit, and probably ensured that they won’t make the top 12. Sway also delivered a weak performance, made only a little bit better by the shot of Taylor singing along in the balcony in the background. Two of these three will be going home tomorrow.

Hypothetically, I’ll be voting for Chris – hypothetically because it’s nearly an hour after the show, and I still can’t get through. He is just phenomenal – I guess I’m not the only one who thinks so. I’ll also throw a few votes to Ace and Elliott, if for no other reason than to thank them for their song choices. And I think we’ll be saying goodbye to our rat pack duo tomorrow.

No comments: