Tuesday, March 28, 2006

We’re down to 10 on American Idol, and it’s “songs of the 21st century night.” That’s right, a theme that’s not really a theme. Go ahead contestants, pick something that’s been popular in the last 6 years. Melissa and Kevin have got to be kicking themselves that they didn’t do this the first week. It also means that we’re out of contestants who awkwardly try to figure out how to hold up enough fingers to tell us to vote for contestant #11.

Lisa started off the night with a Kelly Clarkson song, which wasn’t a great choice. Heck, it wasn’t even a good choice. Lisa is good, but she’s not nearly as good as Kelly Clarkson. And you need to know your audience – Idol viewers love Kelly Clarkson, and have probably all heard her song. They know that Lisa’s version paled in comparison. Oh well…she was going to be in the bottom three this week anyways.

Did Kellie really explain the “story” of the song to us? It’s country music – we can figure it out. I’ve never heard the original, but her version sounded decent. I agreed with the judges – two in a row with bad choices. This is her wheelhouse, so she needed to knock it out of the park on this one (can you tell that baseball season is only days away?). Why she didn’t choose a more popular, challenging song is beyond me.

Ok, maybe this theme is harder than I thought. They’re singing songs that we all know, and we all know how they should sound. So we know how great Train is, and Ace didn’t do the song justice. And Ace – “Drops of Jupiter” is hardly a “rock” song.

Wait a second – did Paula just ask Ace to tell her one day how he got that scar? And even though she didn’t think anything of it, Randy and Simon instantly thought of the Corey Clark scandal…you can’t just ask him like that! Someone has GOT to fix the delicate balance of her medications…

I’ve never heard of the song that Taylor sung, but it was great. Finally, someone who understands the whole song selection thing. I totally disagreed with Randy – it was great to hear such a good song, especially after the previous three. And it was nice to see him not dancing around like he was having a seizure.

Speaking of song selection, I’m not a fan of Mandisa’s. She sounded good – she always does, really. But I’m not sure if choosing a religious song is really the best choice. I’m guessing that there are more than a few who won’t vote for her simply because of the nature of her song. And Paula talking about worshiping at the “church of Mandisa” probably didn’t help that situation.

Now, I might be one of the biggest Chris Daughtry fans out there. So, of course, I loved his performance. But I agree with Simon – it might (might) have been a bit indulgent. Of course, earlier in the show Simon talked about whether or not their performances could hold up to their contemporary counterparts, and this definitely holds up. And the fact that he’s such a hottie doesn’t hurt either.

Katharine’s performance I just didn’t understand. She is such a good singer, and the judges seemed to like her tonight. But I didn’t think it was that great. It got better as it went on, but it started really rough. Maybe this is why I don’t sing in public…or maybe it just didn’t sound as good as the judges thought.

Ok, I think Bucky just sang, but all I heard was mumbling. Go figure.

If, by some chance, you had your eyes closed while Paris was singing, you definitely heard the best performance of the night. She sounded fantastic. Of course, if you’re like most people, you were watching. For some reason, Paris thinks she can dance like Beyoncé. She’s wrong. And to whichever stylist is doing her hair – what is wrong with you? She is such a cute girl – stop making her “uncute.” Please.

Finally, we wrap up the show with Elliott. I wasn’t a huge fan of his song, but I appreciate the fact that he didn’t just sing the song. Hopefully people enjoyed it as much as the judges – I like Elliott and I hope he hangs around.

So I guess that songs of the 21st century was harder than I thought. Hmmmm. So tomorrow night is results…my prediction? I think that Lisa’s luck has run out. The rest of the bottom three? That’s tougher…probably Bucky and Kellie, simply because they’ll split the country vote. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ace or Mandisa were in the bottom either.

No comments: