Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Why do I love The Amazing Race? Well, it’s the little things, really.

Like the fact that my husband isn’t the only one who gives each team a nickname. The contestants nickname each other too. There’s the frat boys (Eric & Jeremy), the hippies (BJ & Tyler), the nerds (Dave & Lori), Ken & Barbie (Joseph & Monica)…the list goes on and on. Of course, the nicknames aren’t always flattering. For whatever reason, Lake & Michelle seem to feel the need to keep calling Ray & Yolanda “the black team.” (which, while accurate, just isn’t very p.c.) Turnabout is fair play, of course, as someone called Lake “Scott Peterson.”

I loved watching Fran & Barry walk up and down the bridge, desperately searching for the clue box. The cameraman who managed to shoot them walking past the box over and over again, without ever having them notice him (or the box) is a genius. Give that man (or woman) a raise.

Then there’s the shock of traveling to a country where no one speaks English, and the culture is very different from ours. I’ll be honest – I’ve never traveled out of the country. But when I finally do (and I just got a passport, so I can’t wait to try that baby out!), I will know that not everyone in the world speaks English. And different doesn’t always mean worse.

Of course, how could I forget the joy of watching John & Scott, who are attempting to overcome John’s fear of flying. Boys – this is the reason I’ve never applied for the Race. I would LOVE to do it, but I am fully aware of the amount of air travel it would involve. It’s just not worth a nervous breakdown. Of course, if they use their genie power, the airplane thing might just be a non-issue.

Overall, this looks like it’s going to be a great season. They’ve done a great job casting characters – teams that you actually want to watch. So far, I like BJ & Tyler, Joseph & Monica, and Eric & Jeremy. And I was kind of sad to see John & Scott be eliminated so quickly -- I would have loved to have seen genie power for at least a few more episodes.

No comments: