Tuesday, March 21, 2006

We were really lucky on tonight’s episode of American Idol. It was 50s week, and we somehow escaped a Barry Manilow night. Somewhere, there’s a producer that loves us. Of course, Barry did spend time working with each contestant, but that’s fine. We still didn’t have to sit through 11 bad versions of 11 bad songs.

Before they started singing, it looked like almost all of the contestants looked like they had spent some serious time with the show’s stylists this week. Hair looked better, makeup looked better. outfits looked better. Gosh – I wish I had a stylist to help me out every day.

Mandisa started the show off showing us exactly why she is one of the best singers in the competition. Even after Barry gushed about how she could come sing with him if the whole Idol thing didn’t work out, she exceeded expectations. That was a great performance.

For all the love that Barry poured onto Mandisa, Bucky’s time was in stark contrast. Did you see the expression on his face as Bucky was rehearsing? It’s similar to the look on Simon’s face – just wondering how he is still in the competition. He just wasn’t very good – a bottom three performance for sure.

The thing about Paris is that she’s a great singer. And when she sings songs like “Fever,” you can really tell. She was really good. She is just someone who really needs to work on her song selection – songs like tonight can win her the competition. Songs like she’s been singing can get her knocked out way too early.

If you’ve seen Walk the Line, you know how Johnny Cash sang “Walk the Line.” And you know that what Chris did was completely different. His performance was amazing. It’s sure to be a single on his first CD. I loved that he didn’t just sing the melody – he really did something unique. I can just seem him learning that tonight’s theme was 50s, and him sitting down and figuring out how he could sing the 50s without sounding like the 50s. What a great performer.

My other favorite, Katharine, also sang amazingly. Ella Fitzgerald is SO hard to sing, and she did a great job with it. I can’t believe I actually agree with Paula – Katharine is one of the only contestants who could pull that performance off. And Simon was right – she really turned into a star. Fantastic.

Two weeks in a row with themes that are great for Taylor. In his powder blue suit he just rocked. (and thanks Taylor for keeping the “woo” count down again tonight – none during the song!) He was far better than Simon gave him credit for.

Now, it’s halfway through the show, and all I can think about is how good the contestants are this season. But, this just highlights the fact that there are still several singers in the competition that don’t live up to the rest. And I kind of feel bad for them. I feel bad for Paula too – why do they let her go on tv so drugged up or drunk or high or whatever it is that makes her act like that? I think that Randy tried to throw it to Ryan Seacrest about 12 times as she and Simon were arguing.

Anyways, Barry loved Lisa, and with good reason. She’s a really good performer – way better than you would think a 16 year old would be. Although did you see the woman in the front row who appeared to be giving Lisa a “golf clap”? Come on – unless you’re related to one of the other performers, you can really do better than that. Sadly, Lisa is the weakest of the women that are left, and she’s bound to be the next girl to go.

Speaking of the next to go, why is Kevin still on the show? I love “When I Fall in Love,” and there he was, in his buttoned-up polo shirt, just ruining it. Yuck. For all you people that are voting for him, what will it take to get you to stop? What if I’m extra nice to you? Would you like me to mention your name in my blog? (as in “you know what? __________ is a really great person!”) Just name it, I’ll try to do it – just stop voting for him!! (phew!)

I like Elliott. He’s one of the best guys in the competition. And I loved that he wasn’t a “fanilow” when he started – and really, how many guys his age are? He’s so genuine – that’s one of the things I like about him. And I agree with Simon – vocally, he was fantastic.

How does Barry Manilow not know Patsy Cline’s “Walking After Midnight”?? That’s one of the most famous country songs of all time. I don’t care that you’re from Brooklyn – you should really know Patsy Cline. Anyways, I digress. It was a great song choice for Kellie – it really matched her voice. And while someone fixed her hair, she seems to have over done the makeup a bit – please, someone, help this country girl out! She sounded great though, and I love that she is so excited by everything (and even stopped to notice the pickle sign – twice).

Ace finished the night off with a really good rendition of “In the Still of the Night.” It’s such a great song, and I honestly wasn’t prepared to like a “new” arrangement of it. But it was good – way better than I expected. And Ace has his whole “sexy look” back, so he should hopefully be safe for another week.

What a show what a show. Of course, I’ll be voting for Chris and Katharine again this week. I’ll probably also call in for Mandisa, Ace and Elliott a few times as well. And the bottom three should be Bucky, Kevin, and Lisa, with one of the two guys going home. At least, I can hope so.

No comments: