Tuesday, March 14, 2006

We’ve got our top 12, and what’s the first theme night on American Idol? Why, it’s Stevie Wonder night! Please, someone, fire the producer who made that decision…

See, Stevie Wonder is one of the greatest singers of all time. And his songs are hard to sing. Very few of the performers on American Idol can even come close to doing his songs justice. Of course the judges didn’t really like many of the performances – the producers set them up for disaster. If they really wanted to do a Stevie Wonder night, they should have waited a few weeks.

So, some things I noticed tonight. Did anyone else see Kellie wave to her friends about two lines into her song? She really is “just a country girl.” And I hope that I’m not the only one who thought that Kellie and Bucky had the exact same hairstyle tonight. Simon says Jessica Simpson, I say Kellie Pickler. They really should have been advised against that.

Did Mandissa really have Ryan take off her shoes and sing barefoot? That’s got to be an Idol first. And we still don’t know the answer to the question of whether or not Melissa owns any shirts that don’t show off her belly button. Darn her for wearing a dress tonight. Of course, her dress did show her belly button (because, really, why not?).

Kevin seems to be taking the whole “I’m a sex symbol” thing way too far. Does he not realize that he really does look like Chicken Little? What on earth do people see in him?

Even though the show started out shaky, it finished strong. I loved Katharine McPhee. You can tell that she really can sing, regardless of the song. And she was the first singer that the judges actually enjoyed. Taylor also sounded really good – this week’s theme was made for him! I just wish that he would have played the harmonica along with the singing! Paris rocked – she just rocked. And, as always, I love love love Chris. Not only did he sound great, but he really made the song his own. Sigh…

Of course, I’ll be voting tonight…all of my votes will go to Katharine and Chris. They really should be the final two. They are just head and shoulders above the rest. And my guess for the bottom three? Kevin, Melissa, and Bucky. And I think that this was the last performance for our very own Chicken Little.

No comments: