Thursday, March 02, 2006

After Monday’s tease, tonight was actually the finale of Skating With Celebrities. And my favorite part has nothing to do with the show itself.

You see, my husband hates shows like this. He sits on the couch, reading a book, claiming not to be watching. And when it’s time for someone to be eliminated, he always says that he wants them to be “launched into the sun.” So when John & Jillian did their first performance, I wondered out loud (to no one in particular, really) if this was the performance where she tried to flip around through John’s legs. And all of a sudden my husband replies, and tells me which performance this one was. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Anyways, the show itself was fine – having all the skaters on the ice together was rather painful. And there was far more “filler” tonight than skating. But finally, we got to skating.

Kristy and Lloyd, in spite of way too many ruffles on Lloyd’s costume, skated a strong, clean performance. It was high energy, and they threw in all the “big tricks,” including a great spin at the end (with Kristy being spun around Lloyd’s head by only one arm!). They just skated great.

John and Jillian’s performance was so different – a slower, romantic performance. It had a totally different feel – really beautiful, rather than a bunch of tricks strung together.

So the scoring? Well, for me, it really comes down to whether you placed a higher emphasis on the tricks or the artistry. I would give it to Jillian and John – I think they were so consistent throughout the entire performance. And just because Jillian fell, well, she fell because she took a giant risk.

In the end, it went to Kristy and Lloyd, even though neither team could do the math quickly enough in their heads (oh, come on). And I guess the real losers are people like me, who invested seven hours of my life into it. Just think of what I could have accomplished in seven hours. Wow.

No comments: