Sunday, July 02, 2006

Does America Actually Have Talent?

I’m still undecided about this America’s Got Talent show. It is really ridiculous, with way too much Regis (and who would have ever thought there could be too much Regis?). But I still watched it, and I think I may be hooked.

It’s certainly not the “talents” that I like watching – it’s the judges. You can see singers on so many shows, but the look on the judges’ faces watching Leinid the Magnificent or the finance major-turned stripper is excellent. And, as one of my friends said, you can’t go wrong with Hasseloff.

There were a few acts that were actually good. I loved the hot cloggers (I think they were called “All That”) and the hot martial arts group. So I like watching hot guys. Go figure. I also liked Elliott the magician, especially the part where he took the one bird and “broke” it into two. The little girl who sang at the end of the show was also excellent.

So many of the acts, though, don’t really qualify as “talents.” Since when is stripping a talent? And while I guess they had to pass her along since they passed on the old man stripper, I don’t see why either of them were on the show. I guess I would just love to see the “judging handbook” for the show.

It seems like we only have one or two more weeks of this part of the competition before the acts start performing for audience votes. I am looking forward to seeing how that part of the show will work.

No comments: