Thursday, July 20, 2006

I hate to say it, but I just don't think America's Got Talent

Maybe it’s just me, but this latest incarnation of The Gong Show has gone from bad to worse. Sure, there are some acts with actual talent. But they seem to be few and far between. Did I actually sit through another performance by Dave the Horn Guy? Oh dear.

The “talent” on last night’s episode of America’s Got Talent was pretty sad. Is this really the best that America has to offer? Because singing and dancing with your sisters shouldn’t put you as one of the top 40 acts in the country. (yes, I know, the littlest sisters were adorable, but so are puppies)

There were a couple of good acts – I liked Realis (the acrobatic gymnasts) and At Last (the a capella group). I also thought that Mark the Kinfe was kind of funny. And I guess that for an 8 year old, Natasha Lee was pretty good too. The rest? Shouldn’t have been on tv at all.

The best part of the night? When At Last told Regis that they had a song for him, and Regis replied (in that great Regis voice) “Regis would like a little ditty!”. Fantastic.

The contestants aren’t the only ones without talent. Where did they hire the cameramen (camerawomen?) and editors for this show? Aside from the fact that there are plenty of shots where the performers aren’t in the center of the shot, over and over we see wide shots or footage of audience reaction instead of the actual act. I think I could do a better job with a camcorder and my laptop.

One more complaint (because, really, I haven’t done that enough tonight). When they had their extra performances tonight, did it seem like a few of them should have been switched with some of the actual performances from last night? Playing the glasses was way more impressive than Dave the Horn Guy. And the girl with the hoola hoops did the exact same thing as Hoopalicious last week (but Hoopalicious got to compete in the semifinal).

So after a mock disagreement, the judges hold off on their pick until tonight (which, by the way, is when they’ll know who the audience chose…hmmm…). And no surprise that Realis and At Last move on to the final. The biggest surprise? That I’m still watching.

No comments: