Thursday, June 29, 2006

12 Wins in a Row!

The most important reality news of the night (ok, the most important for me at least) is my Boston Red Sox. With a spectacular play by Coco Crisp in the 8th (and, of course, my uncle’s favorite joke…if Coco is named MVP, will he be on the cover of a Wheaties box?), and a couple of home runs, they won their TWELVTH STRAIGHT GAME. That’s right – 12 straight. They also tied the major league record for consecutive error-less games. Oh, I am so happy. And thanks to the power of tivo, I did also catch the results show for So You Think You Can Dance?.

I’m not sure which I hate more, the large group songs on Idol or the large group dance numbers on this show. Tonight’s looked like the halftime show at a college basketball game. These are such good dancers – why do they make them do this?

I could have done without the schmaltz about Ivan’s father calling him at 6 am. Did Nigel just say that that call made the program worthwhile? Oh come on.

So our bottom three tonight are Ben & Ashlee, Jessica & Jaymz, and Dmitry & Aleksandra. I don’t think that Aleksandra’s solo can save her – the judges were so harsh on her for the past two weeks. But I think the solos for the guys will really matter; it’s a much harder choice.

The solos were good tonight. We got to see a side of both Ashlee & Ben that we haven’t gotten to see yet – I don’t think they’ll go home tonight. Jessica and Jaymz each did a good solo as well, although it was hard to tell if Jaymz meant to go off the stage at the end or not. It also seemed like Jaymz was pretty much resigned to the fact he might be leaving. Aleksandra & Dmitry rounded out the solos nicely. I really appreciated how nice Dmitry was about Aleksandra, especially after how he acted towards his previous partner.

Another note about this show versus Idol – even though I don’t think that the solos make much of a difference in the judge’s decisions, it rounds the show out much nicer than just the naked cruelty of Idol.

As expected, Aleksandra was cut, but not before Nigel apologized for his harsh words last night. Of course, he made up for that niceness quickly while yelling at Ben and Jaymz. I guess I understand where he was coming from, but there was bound to be a better way to say it. In the end, Ben got cut, which was a little surprising. So next week Dmitry will try out partner number three with Ashlee. Oh dear.

No comments: