Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Salsa...hold the chips...

Even though I hate to sit through nearly 40 minutes of filler, I guess that I appreciate the “unseen” audition tapes. They’re way better than bios of the contestants (because do we really need to know what their favorite flavors of ice cream are?) like they do on Idol. And while I don’t know for sure, I would imagine that in the next couple of weeks they will start to dance solos, which will fill the show back out again.

Heidi & Ryan started the actual show out with hip hop. The dancing was fine, but I was totally distracted by Heidi’s outfit. What on earth was she wearing? And I was glad that Dan said something about it looking like a cheerleading routine – I was thinking the same thing.

I really like Martha and Travis, and their salsa tonight was great. It was especially good, considering the rehearsal piece that we saw before they performed. The judges were really tough on them – I just don’t imagine that the people who are voting would notice the nitpicky things that Mary pointed out.

Dmitry & Ashlee really surprised me. Aside from the fact that it was their first time dancing together (and I feel bad for Dmitry that this is his third partner), they had never danced a contemporary routine before. I wasn’t a huge fan of the choreography, but they did a good job with what they had. And I totally disagree with Dan – I though that Ashlee was better than Dmitry. Her contemporary technique was dead-on…I don’t understand why the judges were so picky about the position of Martha’s feet, but never mentioned how good Ashlee’s were. I’m also not on the “Dmitry-is-a-phenomenal-dancer” bandwagon…perhaps if he put a shirt on I would like him more.

Natalie & Musa were next with a disco routine. I usually really like them, but I didn’t really like this performance. The tricks were fantastic, but the rest of the routine was really flat. It moved slowly, and I don’t know if that was the choreography or the dancing. Of course, the tricks and the chemistry will keep them safe for another week.

Benji & Donyelle are so my favorite couple. Their waltz was beautiful, and they have fantastic chemistry. Of course, the whole “Vietnamese Waltz” and channeling his “inner Dmitry” thing was hilarious. They’ll sail through to the next round for sure.

After Benji channeled his inner Dmitry, Allison & Ivan had to channel their inner Benji. They pulled West Coast swing, and while not as good as Benji or Heidi, they put on an entertaining performance. Allison is actually quite good – Ivan is getting better each week, but has also learned how to show her off.

Jessica & Jaymz finished out the show with the second hip hop routine of the night. They weren’t fantastic, but I liked that Jaymz fought back with the judges a bit. Hip hop for a classically trained dancer is VERY difficult, and I don’t think the judges gave them any credit (while they give credit to the hop hop dancers who dance contemporary). But I don’t think either of them will make it past this week.

The bottom three is tough again this week. I think it will come down to Dmitry & Ashlee and Jessica & Jaymz, which will be hard for the judges, since they’ve both spent some serious time at the bottom. But I think that the love affair with Dmitry will continue, and Jessica & Jaymz will go home.

No comments: