Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Idol with a Latin Flair

It's Latin night on Idol, and J-Lo is helping out the contestants. She may just be the best celeb mentor yet - she's such an amazing singer, and it seemed like she was actually helping them. Hmmm.

Melinda sounded good, but I don’t think she has sung a single song in the competition that was written in her lifetime. When on earth is she going to sing something contemporary? I agreed with Simon that while she sang well, there was no personality to her performance at all.


Lakisha did better than Melinda, but still just sang the song. Neither girl really embraced the whole flair of the Latin theme. It's a shame, but I'm glad that we're starting to see that both of the supposed front-runners do have their limits.

I love the song "Smooth" that Chris sang tonight, and Chris did a really good job. I'm glad that Simon pointed out that it was far more contemporary than the two girls (someone should force them to sing something from this decade).

Haley continued her strategy of wearing less and less clothing (I swear, I typed that before Simon said it). It seems to be working.

Phil wasn't great, but had the problem of being compared to the original (which is amazing). It's hard to sing Santana, though good for him for trying. And I love that his daughter named her stuffed animal "Simon Cow-ell".

I feel really old after Jordin said she was born in December 1989 (oh my goodness, my husband was already in college!). I'm blown away by how good she is at such a young age. She was really good again tonight - way better than Simon gave her credit for.

Blake rocked again tonight. Does anyone else think that he's J-Lo's favorite? Best performance of the night by far.

We finished up the night with Sanjaya, "the embodiment of Latin passion" (way to go Ryan Seacrest). Even though I was so hoping for a Shakira number (come on, how much would you have loved to hear him do "Hips Don't Lie"?), he sang a ballad mostly in Spanish. Somehow, the judges claimed to have liked it, which may just be strategy; it was horrible.

With any luck, this will be the last week for Sanjaya. But I'm starting to learn...the bottom three will probably be Phil, Haley, and Chris. Sigh...

No comments: