Friday, April 20, 2007

Best Survivor of the Season

That's right. Last night's episode of Survivor was by far the best of the season.

The reward challenge was one that is done on almost every season, and is almost always my favorite. The combination of finding out what others think of you and finding out where you fall in the order of the tribe is sometimes the beginning of the end for castaways. And, of course, there's the added layer of choosing people to come with you on the reward. Fantastic. Cassandra was really smart, taking the people who she knew that she needed to firm up an alliance with. It was a big move - maybe she's a better player than we thought she was.

The immunity challenge was great too. Endurance challenges are always good at this point of the show, and those pegs they were standing on looked horrible. I don't know how they stayed on as long as they did.

So after the challenge was when the fun began. The scrambling that took place on the beach made for incredible television. I couldn't tear my eyes away from it. This is the first season where the idols are playing out like this, and it's huge. Then there's Dreamz. I can't tell if he is just a young kid without much of a filter (whatever he thinks he says), an amazing Survivor strategy player, or a little of both. There's also the element of just plain dumb luck. How he has survived this long playing both sides is a mystery. And I'm starting to like him more and more. Rumor has it that something big happens with him - there's only four more episodes, so it sure needs to happen soon.

So after all the scrambling, tribal council was fantastic. Every single one of them was sitting there, looking smug in the knowledge that their alliance had pulled off an amazing vote. And the cameramen did a phenomenal job of capturing their faces as Probst read the first vote for Edgardo. Wow. I'm sad to see Edgardo go - he was one of my favorites. I'm also a little confused about the hidden idol - I'm surprised to hear that they're going to re-hide it. That's a huge twist that they probably never saw coming. I can't wait to see how it will play out.

No comments: