Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Idol Gives Back - Night 1

It’s an interesting dilemma with tonight’s episode of Idol. I love what they are doing for charity. Turning their hold on the viewing public (seriously, everyone watches their show…the other networks won’t even program against it) into something positive is highly commendable. That is, if it ended there. But let’s be real – they’re also using it to draw in even more viewers and advertising. I wish they would just give the money without all the hoopla. But that being said, thank you to the producers of Idol for bringing both funds and attention to where it is so desperately needed.

While the way that Chris wobbles his head back and forth is driving me nuts, he sounded great tonight. I wasn’t sure of the song choice at first, but it turned out to be perfect. It’s the best he’s sounded in weeks, and I’m glad the judges saw that too.

I think that tonight is the first week that Melinda has sung a current song, and she did it phenomenally well. I don’t see how she won’t win this thing.

Of course, she’ll have to contend with Blake. Right before he started signing I said to my husband “I hope he doesn’t mess this up.” “Imagine” is truly one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and I really liked his performance. I don’t know about the judges – it was a lot better than they gave him credit for. Hopefully he’ll be safe again this week.

I can’t believe that Lakisha made the same mistake two weeks in a row – singing a song from a former Idol. I agree with the judges. She has a very different sound than Fantasia, and her version paled by comparison to the original. She very well could be going home tomorrow night.

Phil sounded great again this week. He’s really found his niche, and he’s probably saved himself for another week on the show.

Jordin finished off the night giving Melinda a run for her money. She is simply amazing.

So I’m going to actually vote tonight since apparently some money will go to charity for my vote. Won’t say who I’ll be voting for, but you can bet that Blake (my pick to win it all) will get at least a few of them. And who will be going home? It’ll be a shocker, but I think it’s the end of the road for Lakisha.

No comments: