Sunday, September 30, 2007

Blue Team Down One

It had to happen - for the first time I can remember, the numbers on the scale on The Biggest Loser were "normal." No 15 pound weeks...just lots of 2s and 3s...the type of weight-loss a normal person would have in a week. And for some reason, I'm happy. I've always really liked the show, partly because they are showing that you can (and should) lose weight through diet and exercise instead of gimmicks and surgery. But it was always a little disheartening that they expected so much in such a short period of time. Now, we may see huge numbers again next week. But I'm not sure. There has been talk that there was so much criticism last season about contestants taking extreme measures to win (namely dehydration and not eating) that they might be monitoring them closer this season. I have also read that there are several players with health conditions that are not being shared on-screen. But I am a fan of healthy numbers all around.

The episode itself was good. I loved the challenges. Any challenge like the reward challenge where it is more mental than physical rocks. And Patty messed up the strategy - such good tv to watch. I also found it interesting that she would have been the biggest loser on her team regardless of the 3-pound pass. Makes you think that having those extra calories (which sped up her metabolism) might have been a good thing after all. I also loved the second challenge, where they raced against kids. How funny was it to see a kindergartener dash by them? Classic.

Lots of people online are upset that Jerry was voted off. But not me. I think it was a good move. He clearly had the ability to lose the rest of the weight at home. He got hurt, and couldn't compete in the challenge (and would likely be unable to work out as hard for awhile). And he showed the ability to pull a huge number. Get rid of him while you have the chance. Yes, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. But this guilt that he "chose" them? Come on...as it turned out, everyone got chosen. So he put a blue shirt on you...it's still a game, and it's a game you want to win.

No comments: