Monday, September 24, 2007

Chicken Joins the "First Out" Club

Wow. I’m not so sure what to think about the premiere of Survivor: China, other than wow.

First, you should know that I am extremely biased about the location this season. My husband and I are adopting from China, and the China adoption community has been abuzz about this season since it was announced last spring. I love looking at the scenery, culture, and customs, and thinking that this is where my little girl is from. But I think that even without that bias, I would love the location. It’s just so different than the past few seasons.

I liked how the season started with the ritual at the temple. It was so unique, and a really moving start. Of course, the start also gave me my favorite moment of the episode – Leslie saying that she’s not religious, she just has a personal relationship with Jesus. Um, you’re a Christian radio show host who has a personal relationship with Jesus. If that isn’t religious, well, I don’t know what is. I also loved that Jaime announced that she couldn’t possibly start right away because she didn’t have on a bra. After this many seasons of Survivor, there simply is no excuse for going anywhere without appropriate clothing on. For those of you who don’t know, the contestants are sequestered for a week or two before the game starts, told that the game can start at any time, and the game does, in fact, start without warning. The first couple of times they marooned them with only the clothes on their backs, they were told that they were going for pictures/interviews. So you could see where they would be dressed to impressed. But after that? Well, you should really know better. I heard that some contestants the past two seasons would put on layers of clothes any time they were told to go anywhere, just in case. That’s a smart move, one that would have served them all well. But I guess if you’re dumb enough to be wearing a dress, heels, and no bra, then you get what you deserve.

I also noticed that they are giving them a lot more amenities this season. There is rice, and the losing tribe was given flint at tribal (which almost never happens). I think that it has more to do with the location than anything else. It’s been awhile since Survivor was at a location where food was not plentiful. But in locations like Guatemala and Africa, where they really couldn’t fend for themselves that well, they were given some basic rations to survive. I’ve also heard that this is a more “back-to-basics” season as well, which may explain the rations, no “exile island,” and starting with 16 castaways. It could also just be setting us up for something much much bigger.

My early favorites? I really like Todd, the flight attendant. I don’t know, but something about him is just so likeable. I also like James, the gravedigger. And, of course, I’m rooting for lunch lady Denise who hails from my mom’s hometown of Revere, Massachusetts. Most annoying? Chicken, Ashley, and Courtney. I’m curious about why they never subtitled Chicken (a lot of seasons where contestants mumbled or spoke with a thick accent they were subtitled)…my only thought is that CBS couldn’t understand a word he said either. And I can’t possibly be the only one who was distracted by the number of fake boobs this season. I guess that’s one way to boost their male viewership!

Overall, a good episode with a good result (I hated that Chicken wouldn’t voice an opinion…man up!). Can’t wait for next week!

No comments: