Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Top 10

We're down to the top ten on So You Think You Can Dance?, and everything changes. New partners every week, each dancer performs a solo and a partner dance, and the voting is all that counts. The solos certainly make the blogging difficult this week! But I LOVE the change this year that they all danced the same solo. It's the first time I've felt like I could really compare dancers side by side. And there was clearly a difference. Let's see...

Jaime kicked off the solos in a big way. She really is a phenomenal dancer, and you could see it in her solo. Her routine with Dominic was ok...I worry about her for tomorrow since all the judges could talk about was Dominic. Kind of a bummer for her again (since she was with Hok up until this week).

I love Dominic. But you could tell in his solo that he is not a trained dancer. And while I didn't think his routine with Jaime was as bad as the judges said, it wasn't great. I don't think it's totally his fault - what was he supposed to do when the choreographer gave him a Spanish Viennese Waltz?

Sara has to be one of the favorites to win the competition. Her solo was phenomenal, and when you realize that she is a b-girl, well...holy cow. I thought it was way better than Nigel gave her credit for - I'm glad that the other judges were so positive. Her disco routine was also excellent. If I was going to vote, I would vote for Sara tonight.

Pasha's solo was pretty good. But I really liked his hip hop routine with Lauren. Who knew that he had that in him? He should be safe for sure!

Ok, I can see why they kept her Lauren! Her hip hop routine with Pasha was really good. I didn't like her solo as much as the judges, but it was definitely well danced overall. (it just didn't show as much emotion or connection with the piece as Sara or Lacey).

Neil is supposedly a contemporary dancer. But I wasn't enthralled with his solo tonight. He did an excellent job with his disco routine though, so it will be close with him whether or not he will stay this week.

After Sabra's routine with Kameron, I would bet that she will be in the final four. Soaring through the air like that was amazing. Her solo was really well danced, but she clearly took a different spin on it than some of the other girls. For those of you who don't usually watch dance, it's impressive how much change you can make by changing the emotions in the very same piece of choreography.

During his routine with Sabra, I wasn't thrilled with Kameron. I agree with the judges...Lacey really had been carrying him and you could tell tonight. His solo was pretty good, but I can see him being in the bottom two (three?) tomorrow night.

Lacey's technique in her solo wasn't as good as some of the other girls', but she is quite the performer - maybe the best in the bunch. The emotions in her dance were amazing. Her performance with Danny was also really good. She was in her element with the style, and she carried both of them.

Danny's solo was good - he's got the contemporary technique down. His routine with Lacey was good too. He kept up with Lacey for the most part, and I think he'll be safe tomorrow night.

So I'm not really sure who will be going home tomorrow night. For the guys, I think it will be close...it will come down to who has more fans. On technique alone, it should be Dominic. But I think (and hope) that he has enough fans to keep him safe and send Neil home. The girls are really tough. They're all so good, so it's almost like finding the worst of the best (or, as my husband likes to say, the skinniest kid at fat camp). I think that we'll be saying goodbye to Jamie tomorrow as well.

No comments: