Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Some Thoughts Back from Vacation

Well, I'm back from vacation, and I think I'm almost all caught up with my tivo (though I still have two episodes of Shaq's Big Challenge...with any luck I'll get to those this week, or at least watch them while my husband takes his turn with Harry Potter this weekend (just because it's his birthday doesn't mean I'll let him read it all first!). I'll talk about Big Brother 8 in another post, but have a few thoughts on Age of Love and So You Think You Can Dance?.

A word about Age of Love - even though I set my tivo to record it, it didn't. It's one of the few times that my tivo has chosen to not record something - for all you who think that your tivo has a life of its own, this may back that thought up. Never fear, though - I watched the episodes I missed online. I think I may be the only one. It really is train wreck television. I am rooting for the 40s, and was rooting for crying Mary to be sent packing sooner than she was. She was crying so much that I was seriously worried for her that she was becoming dehydrated. Get that girl some Gatorade! The show is getting really low ratings (go figure), so I wouldn't be shocked to see the last few episodes condensed. I wouldn't be sad either - I've invested enough time in it that I care to see who wins, but it would be great to do it in less time.

So You Think You Can Dance? has me annoyed this summer. I love the dancers - in fact, I think that they're the most talented group ever on the show. And I love the choreography - holy cow, what I would give to work with some of them. So what's annoying me? The judges. I actually think that they're doing an excellent job of judging on performance night (and I LOVED the guest judge last week - he's an amazing choreographer, and did a great job pointing out the parts of the performances that look easy but are actually ridiculously difficult). But their choices to cut have been a bit suspect. They got a lot of heat for cutting Jessi (though I agree that it was the correct decision). And what was their fascination with Cedric? He should have gone home week 1 (or maybe not even have made the top 10). I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the judges aren't involved with choosing who goes home.

No comments: