Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Life Lessons on Idol

I learned some very important lessons tonight from American Idol. First, a good voice can be obscured by an inflatable cowboy & horse costume. Second, just because your mother is famous doesn’t mean you can sing. There’s only one Taylor Hicks – thank goodness. And don’t forget that just because “peanut butter jelly time” is an internet favorite doesn’t mean that it will translate well to an Idol audition. “X-Centric” is NOT actually the most exciting entertainer on planet Earth (did he bring his own mic?). And finally, and perhaps most importantly, the Paula Abdul/Randy Jackson learn to sing DVD is in no way a substitute for a real singing coach. Fantastic episode.

I also liked tonight’s guest judge Olivia Newton-John. It seems that she is doing the “guest judge” circuit (she was a judge on Grease on Sunday), and she was far more snarky on Idol.

There were a couple of standout singers tonight. I loved Brandon, the hottie who sang “Always on My Mind.” I agree with Simon that he could be a finalist. I also like Alaina, who was about to give up singing (and sang a Michael BublĂ© song).

No comments: