Sunday, January 28, 2007

Not Really Sure That Grease is What I Want

Yes, I watched Grease: You’re The One That I Want again tonight. Actually, I watched last week’s episode this afternoon, then the new episode tonight. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but I keep watching. Of course, by me watching, my reality-tv hating hubby actually uttered the phrase “this actually makes me miss American Idol.” Totally worth the three hours.

I hated the format of the show - introducing two performers, then having them both perform and be judged together. I’m not really sure of the point. I also didn’t understand Billy Bush feeling the need to give each contestant a nickname (“It’s sweet Sandy! And emotional Sandy!).

I’m also really unclear on the show itself. Will it be singing every week? And wouldn’t that just make this a really cheap rip-off of American Idol? I’m hoping that we’ll have weeks where the competition will be dancing or acting. And why did they bring back two contestants? Matt was good, but Ashley A. was horrible. If you’re going to bring two back, why Ashley A? Very strange. They also never explained if the contestants choose their songs and outfits, or if they are selected for them to set the mood (like they were in the final round at “Grease Academy”). And if someone selects the outfits for them, whoever selected Laura’s outfit (the short yellow shirts and white high heel ankle boots) needs to be fired. Now.

I’m also a little shaky on the voting thing. First, there doesn’t seem to be a results show planned. When do the people get voted off? The results show is the one thing that all of these Idol knock-offs have in common.

Sigh…I can’t believe I care this much.

Anyways, some of the contestants were pretty good. I liked Derek and Chad for the guys, as well as Austin, though I think his “I’m good and I know it” attitude is going to get him kicked off earlier than expected. For the girls, I liked Kate and Ashley S. I’m not sure who will be eliminated, mostly because I’m not sure how it will work…is it voting that eliminates someone, or is there another round before someone goes home? And did anyone else notice how nice the judges were being to some of them who really didn’t deserve it? I have a theory. There are always those “vote for the worst” websites…could the judges actually be aware of them? There’s a lot more at stake for the judges to have a strong winner at the end of this show than at the end of all the others. I really think that they may be nervous to really slam a bad performance for fear that voters may rally behind them. Just a theory. I guess we’ll find out in two weeks (because NBC is smart enough to not put this stuff up against the Super Bowl…).

No comments: