Friday, January 12, 2007

Grease...I'm Just not Sure You're the One That I Want...

I finally just got around to watching the first episode of Grease: You're the One That I Want. I don't think it speaks too well for the show that it took me nearly a week to watch it (especially when you consider how many re-runs of Scrubs I've watched this week on Comedy Central...wait, isn't it time for another episode right now?...). I will say, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. That being said, it's not that good either.

I love the set-up itself. I'm one of those people who loves the movie version of Grease; one of those people who always stops on it when it's on tv. Hypothetically, it's a combination of two of my favorite reality shows - American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. But it falls so short. The format is such a copy of American Idol that their producers should prepare for the law suits. But in all the areas that they try to be Idol they fall hopelessly short. The judges aren't nearly as good, and (I can't believe I'm about to say this) Billy Bush is certainly no Ryan Seacrest (yikes, I did just type that). They also have the most ridiculous catch phrase...apparently every time someone is chosen, the judges have to use the phrase "you're the one that we want...". Do you think that the producers look at interns and say "you're the one that I want to get me a double espresso"? One can only hope.

The other ridiculousness is that the next round of competition has them going to "Grease Academy." Wow. Let me just tell you where I do NOT want to go.

So, will I watch the show again? Probably, especially since I can tivo it and watch it some other time when there's nothing else on. I'm hoping that once we get through auditions and there are actual good contestants I'll get more into it. Hopefully...

No comments: