Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Idol Goes to Birmingham

Birmingham is such a strange place. After watching tonight’s episode of American Idol, I’m really ok with the fact that I’ve never been.

Tonight’s episode brings up the point about the bad singers. How many of them are really there because they think they have a shot? Or do they just want to get on television. Some it’s easy to tell – Margaret (the 50 year old who sort of looked like Big Bird) was clearly looking for her moment on tv. But others it’s hard to tell. Like Diana, the “large” girl who came in wearing one glove (ala Michael Jackson) and sang Whitney Houston. Or crazy Brandy, who seemed to be convinced that she sounded better on the carpet. You have to wonder if these people really hear themselves sing and think they are good. I feel bad for them – it’s sort of like being color blind.

There were a few really good singers. I LOVED Chris, the funny guy with the fro who wants to make David Hasselhoff cry. He’s funny, and he sounded amazing. I also liked Tatiana, the cute little girl who sang towards the beginning of the show (who knows what she sang…I was focused on her giant red and white belt). I also think that Jamie Lynn, who helps to take care of her paralyzed father, will go far. She’s this season’s Kellie Pickler, and she now has a hit single. Go figure.

No comments: