Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Another Great Night on Idol

It was another fantastic night on American Idol. The only problem? It was only an hour long.

First, though, a follow-up from last week's show. You may remember Jonathan, the large boy from Seattle who was friends with the strange-looking kid that Simon called a bush baby. Turns out that Jonathan is actually a Special Olympian, which started a string of hatred toward the show, most notably from Rosie O'Donnell, who couldn't believe that Simon would treat a Special Olympics kid that way. Well, you know what? Jonathan didn't mind. He thought it was funny. And Special Olympics released a statement supporting the Idol judges as well. They were pleased that Jonathan was treated like any other kid, and given the same chance that everyone else got. I couldn't agree more.

So on to tonight's show, which made me and my husband laugh so hard it actually hurt. It started out strong, with Frank the cheerleader who brought a band and cheer squad with him. And when he didn't make it through to Hollywood, the band played that "so sad too bad" noise (I won't even begin to try to spell out that noise...you know what I mean). And then when Simon asked them to shut up, Seacrest fought back...we had to watch it a couple of times we were laughing so hard. Then there was the dullest contestant ever, Tameka, who I don't even think realized what she was doing. What about Travis, who wanted to bring emotion to the show? The only emotion I got was more laughter. Or Topher, whose wife left him, but he got to call her a b---h on national tv. What about Robert, whose Elvis song makes me think that he may also be a Special Olympian. And my absolute favorite, Janita, who told cameras that she wears sunglasses because they "boost my confidentiality." They do wonders for your confidence as well.

There were a few good singers. The ones that I think will do well were Sundance (I mean, come on - his name is Sundance), Danielle (who sang the Aretha song), Sean (the Castro lookalike), and Melinda (the girl with a great voice but no self-confidence). Can't wait for tomorrow's show.

Oh - one last note. Did anyone else recognize the guy in the preview for Wednesday night's show? I think he auditioned last summer for So You Think You Can Dance?...he was the one who came in and asked where he should put his mink. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain it's the same guy. Hopefully I'm not the only one who noticed...

No comments: