Sunday, August 20, 2006

We Have a Winner!

After a summer of really fantastic dancing, we have a winner on So You Think You Can Dance?. I'm pretty bummed - not because of the winner, but because now we're stuck with one less watchable show on television.

As you know, we're down to Heidi, Donyelle, Benji, & Travis. And "America" got it right - these really are the best four dancers from the competition. The producers also did a great job of filling out the show with some of the best performances from the season. Each of the top four got to choose their favorite routine, and the judges (or at least some of them) chose favorites as well. I was annoyed with the cheesy voice-overs that each contestant did, but I loved seeing their favorites. Heidi had to feel good that both guys chose a routine with her - she is clearly the best female dancer in the competition. I also loved that I got to see all of my favorites. Although did anyone else notice that the routine that Mary chose was never actually performed on the show? It was an all new routine, just so she could see Dmitry & Natalie dance together. Strange.

Way too early in the show we find out that Heidi & Donyelle have been eliminated. I don't know how anyone could be shocked - if they had told Heidi she won, what would have been the point of the second hour of the show. And even though I love Heidi, I don't think that either of the girls dance up to the level of Travis & Benji.

So we're down to Benji & Travis, or "Tranji," which I still think is the worst nickname ever. Even as they were dancing their hip hop routine together at the end of the show, I kept hoping that they would somehow declare the show a tie. But, of course, someone has to win. And not surprisingly, Benji was crowned America's Favorite Dancer. I'm pretty pleased with myself that I was on the Benji bandwagon from week one, and so excited that someone that I was rooting for actually won. He is going to be great dancing in that Vegas show, and I wouldn't be surprised if Travis gets an offer to dance in it as well (the show is choreographed by Mia Michaels, who, along with being my new favorite choreographer ever, already said she would like to hire Travis). What a great show & a great season - I can't believe I have to wait till next summer to see it again.

No comments: