Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Last Night of Dancing on So You Think You Can Dance

Back from a mini-vacation to my friends’ wedding, and it’s good to see that my internet connection still stinks. So nice to know that I pay for the privilege of only being able to get online every now and then. Thanks Verizon for fixing that.

Anyways, because of the internet nonsense (and to be fair, Verizon was nice enough to not provide me with phone service for a few days as well), I’m a bit behind on the blogging. Rather than recap (short version – I LOVE Chilltown), let’s just move on to tonight’s finale (well, the last performances) of So You Think You Can Dance?.

America” got it right with the final four. No surprises, just four dancers who could each win the competition. Fantastic. Tonight they will each dance with the others (three pair dances each), dance a solo, then one last group number. Should be good.

Early on in the evening, Nigel declared that Heidi is the best female partner in the show. I couldn’t agree more. She is a great dancer on her own, but phenomenal dancing with a partner. Her first dance with Travis was crazy – did you see the lifts that they did? Her dance with Benji was also spectacular. I was less impressed with her performance with Donyelle, but that had a lot to do with the choreography. It also had a lot to do with the fact that she usually plays so well off of her male partner, and there wasn’t that type of energy (nor should there have been) with Donyelle.

Speaking of Donyelle, I have been such a fan of hers through the whole show. But I think she was outdanced tonight by the other three. Her first dance, the Viennese waltz with Benji, was really beautiful. The judges didn’t like it, which was surprising. It was a great song choice for them, and a fitting way to end their journey together. They didn’t like her Broadway routine with Heidi either. But her contemporary dance with Travis was amazing. I have become such a fan of Mia’s choreography, and the two of them together were so beautiful to watch.

Somewhere in the middle of the show tonight, I actually laughed out loud. Travis & Benji (or “Tranji” as they want to be known as…a really unfortunate pairing of the names if you ask me…) was dorktastic. Their hip hop routine was perfect for them, and showed why I think that it will be one of them who will win the competition. They are both phenomenal dancers, and are amazing performers. Of course, I don’t really understand why Nigel was asking to see Dmitry’s chest instead of Benji’s…so strange. Aside from the question of why he wants to see anyone’s chest, did you see how remarkable built scrawny Benji was? For those of you who don’t think dancers are athletes – HA.

Getting back to the guys, I’ve been a fan of Benji’s since the beginning of the auditions. And he didn’t disappoint tonight. Even though the judges didn’t like his Viennese waltz, I thought it was beautiful. And he can’t go wrong dancing club salsa with Heidi. But Travis tonight may have won my vote. He started so strong with his disco routine with Heidi. And his contemporary routine with Donyelle was perfect. I think he also had the best solo of the night.

So who will win the competition? That’s a tough call. I think it should be one of the two guys. I’m not even sure who I’m rooting for – too bad they can’t “tie”. Now, who will actually win? This is where the numbers game gets interesting. I think the vote will be very close all around. But I think that in the end Benji will win with Heidi a close second. And all four of them will have great careers in dance ahead of them.

No comments: