Wednesday, February 22, 2006

After watching four seasons of American Idol, there are certain things that we’ve all heard a million times. And to be honest, most of them make no sense. “You worked it out tonight.” (huh?) “That was pitchy.” (ok, people with musical talent probably know what that means) And of course, “you’re my dawg!!” But the one thing that the judges always talk about that does make sense is song selection. And it was song selection that was the story on tonight’s episode.

See, song selection can make a good singer sound great. Or hide some weaknesses in a singer that’s not quite as strong. But it can also ruin your chance at American Idol. The prime example of this tonight? Bobby, who inexplicably chose to sing “Copacabana.” Can you imagine listening in to the conversation in his head when he settled on that song? Do you think he pondered other Barry Manilow classics as well? It’s really too bad, because he seems like a nice guy. But I can’t imagine that he’ll be back next week.

On the other end of the song selection spectrum were my two favorites – Chris and Ace. They chose songs that really highlighted their vocals, and brought the house down. Of course, the fact that they’re both, well, sexy as hell, doesn’t hurt either. I don’t know how they won’t make it through to the top 10.

I also really liked Elliott, although I don’t agree with Simon that he’s the best in the competition. Don’t get me wrong – he was really great. He’s definitely in the top 3, but I just don’t know if he’s number 1. I think that Taylor was really good as well – he’s got a strong voice, and he’s original.

By far the creepiest song selection of the night belonged to Sway. Did he really just sing the song that is his parent’s “song”? Does he not know what a “song” for a couple means? Not to be crude, but he may have been conceived to that song. Ewwwww…..

The rest of the performers? Well, they were just ok. Simon was in rare form tonight, especially with poor Kevin. Yes, Kevin is very appealing to older women. But Simon is forgetting that older women LOVE American Idol. And I’ve heard so many people talk about him and Taylor that I think they’ll both be fine.

My votes tonight? I’ll be calling for Chris and Ace. (even though Ace has exposed the fact that I know all the lyrics to George Michael’s “Faith” album…you would have thought that my husband would already know that…) And I think that Bobby and Gideon will be headed home tomorrow.

No comments: