Monday, February 27, 2006

The last of the shows for the night was a finale that was actually a finale…the final rose on The Bachelor: Paris. And it was a great ending to a really great season of the show.

The two girls left could not be more different. Their demeanor, attitudes, lifestyles, and personalities are on such different ends of the spectrum. Which is why, I think, that this season has been good television. Having two girls that are such opposites makes us really wonder what is going on.

We started with the girls meeting Travis’s family. Sarah connected with his family very quickly. And that’s important – anyone who thinks you can marry someone whose family you don’t get along with is in for a rude awakening. And it was in such sharp contrast to meeting Moana the next night. Even though Moana connected so well with his sister and brother-in-law, she just showed that strange side of herself to his parents. And she kept doing that annoying thing she does where instead of answering a question, she just starts to cry. Ugh. This brings me to my biggest complaint of the night – why did they have Travis’s nieces meet the girls? Yes, they are an important part of Travis’s life. But getting kids involved adds a whole other dimension to this – they just got to know someone (and maybe attached to someone) that they will never see again.

Then came shopping with the moms – a great twist this season. And not really because it was nice for their moms to be a part of the shopping. But because I always wonder where the girls stay in between dates and rose ceremonies – now I know that they put them up in apartments! (ok, I know it, I’m a nerd!)

So, the final dates seemed to have been planned by the girls this season, another great twist. You could really see the difference in their personalities from the dates they planned. This is where I really think Sarah showed that she is the right choice – her date seemed to be something that Travis would actually enjoy doing on any given Saturday. But her constant need to explain her feelings to Travis made me a bit nervous – why did she keep talking, instead of enjoying the moment? Of course, it could all be editing – maybe Moana was doing the same thing.

Finally, we get to the rose ceremony. And let me tell you, I couldn’t tear my eyes away. I have been so hoping that Sarah gets the final rose, even though I know that I shouldn’t get so wrapped up in the lives of people who I have never (and most likely will never) meet. So when Moana got out of the limo, all I could think was, “please let them not be pulling a ‘we’ll-have-the-winner-get-out-of-the-first-limo’ thing like they did a few seasons back.” So when the “sad” music started playing as Travis was pouring his heart out to her, I actually yelped with joy. Moana just wasn’t the right girl for him. And we got a great (ok, not great for Moana) meltdown in the limo on the way home. Real tears – not the kind she’s been shedding when she doesn’t know what else to say. I hope that she talks to the therapists that they have on the show; and hopefully she will find someone that is really right for her.

Then up comes Sarah – and you can see Travis body language change completely. He looks happier, and like he is actually breathing. (which, Travis, you should know is a good thing!) I’m not ashamed to admit it – I shed a few tears when they finally kissed! And I loved how he explained the ring – it just continues my belief that he is the best bachelor ever. Such a gentleman (he seemed like he was the first one who didn’t take advantage of the overnight dates, if you know what I mean) to the end. What a wonderful fairy tale ending.

No comments: