Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Even though I love the audition rounds of American Idol, I wonder what some of these singers, sitting at home on their couches, are thinking. What must it be like to have built a career on writing and singing music, to then hear your songs being butchered by kids in North Carolina? I wish I could be sitting on their couch instead of mine…

Tonight’s contestants did a spectacular job of killing songs. From the very first contestant (who didn’t even know the words to “Lean on Me”), you just knew that tonight was going to be painful. They wore lingerie, brought project boards, danced, held notes (and words) way too long, impersonated Michael Jackson, relied on the advice from Psychic Friends…wow. At least Marcus had the good sense to hammer the “Singing with Randy & Paula” DVD to shreds.

Of course, there were some really good singers tonight. There was the girl who lives with her grandfather because her mom abandoned her and her dad is in jail. She was perky, and sweet, and had a nice voice. And the military man who sang and danced with Paula – singing Marvin Gaye was a great choice (and I loved that once Paula realized he was married he said “it’s Paula Abdul – she can join in!”). And I liked the cowboy who sang “Bless the Broken Road,” but that might be because it’s one of my favorite songs! And the firefighter who sang Josh Groban was great as well.

Then there’s Paris, the girl whose grandmother is a Grammy winning singer. She was amazing. How amazing was she? My husband, who hates watching American Idol, just said “with her, there’s no reason for them to do the rest of the show.” The judges actually asked her to sing again, just so they could enjoy another song. The only thing I wonder, is why does she need this show? With her family connections, and her amazing voice, she could really get a contract on her own

But the great singers were really overshadowed by the non-talent. Like Rhonetta. They teased her “performance” for the entire two hours, and by George, I sat through the entire show to see her. And thank goodness, because this one lived up to the hype. Wow. What on Earth would possess someone to dress/sing/act like that??? Does she really think she is good? And what is her beef with Paula Abdul? Is she really that upset that Paula offered her some of her water? I thought she was being nice. Then again, I thought that outfits like that should never be worn in public. Shows what I know.

So it was quite an episode – the best and the worst in the competition in the same episode. What a night for music. And you real music stars, watching your songs get butchered….I would love a spot on your couch :)

No comments: