Monday, January 30, 2006

Before I go into a full-out rant about tonight’s episode of Skating With Celebrities, I must make this statement: Yes, I know how ridiculous it is to get worked up about a reality show. A really really bad reality show. A reality show that should really have never been made. I know. I’m just lame like that. That being said…

What on Earth was up with the judging on tonight’s episode of Skating With Celebrities? I give a lot of credit to Kristy Swanson & Jillian Barberie. If I were them, after I heard my scores on tonight’s episode, I would have walked right off the set. For whatever reason, the judges have an agenda, and are simply assigning scores to make the results work for that agenda.

In the segments showing the teams practicing, most of the competitors talked about stepping up their routines, and adding more difficulty. But the team that added the least amount of difficulty was rewarded with the highest scores. I would love to know what the criteria are that the judges are using. Because apparently skating around in a circle works if you’ve won an Olympic medal in track. Oh – dressing in drag works too…especially for these judges. I defy anyone to explain to me why Bruce & Tai earned an 8.5 while Kurt & Deborah earned a 7.9.

I would imagine that the target audience for this show are people (ok, women) who usually watch figure skating. So why not judge the competition in a way that would make sense to those people. Heck, in a way that makes sense to any people would be nice. I like Nancy Kerrigan and all, but the program she skated tonight with Dave was barely watchable. And Tai & Bruce’s program was horrific. It really looked like he was just skating around the rink. Yes, I understand that he’s much older than the other competitors. Maybe that means that he shouldn’t have agreed to do the show.

I know – I am getting myself really worked up about a silly tv show. A really silly tv show. Sigh…

There is no question in my mind that the order of competitors (in spite of trips and falls) should have been – 1. John & Jillian; 2. Kristy & Lloyd; 3. Kurt & Deborah; 4. Nancy & Dave; 5. Bruce & Tai.

One last question – how can Fox keep promoting this show as celebrities skating live? This is just not true. Tonight’s episode was taped at least a week ago, since they showed segments from tonight’s show during the previews last week. Yes, they are skating in front of a “live audience” (meaning simply that there are actual people in the stands), but that’s not what Fox has been saying. In fact, judging from the previews we saw before the first show even aired, I believe the show was shot weeks (or even months) ago.

Stay tuned to see if I actually watch this silliness next week…

3 comments:

Luke F said...

How can you not watch next week. This show is a train wreck waiting to happen. Who will be the first "celebrity to get decapitated by a skate blade" my vote is for Kristy. - from another Reality Junkie and Sox fan.

Ryan said...

I bookmarked you! Very cool blog. :)

mara said...

thanks to both of you...yeah, bottom line is I'll watch it for at least one more week (once the Olympics are on, though, all bets are off).