Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Another night, another episode of American Idol. Someone out there really does love me.

The show started, well, “strong.” Simon summed it up best when he said “this is all going horribly wrong.” Why on earth would you sing a Paula Abdul song? There is no way that any of the judges would think it was better than the original.

This brings me to my big question for the night – where are these contestant’s friends? And why are they lying to them about being good singers? Because that’s what they all say – “my friends all say I’m a good singer.”

And so many of them couldn't sing. "What planet did you fly in from?" "I usually just sing for my turkeys." Clothing that looks like a table cloth. Oh my.

There were some who could sing. Especially the 16 year old girl who sang towards the beginning of the show -- I hope that she knows that Simon was serious that she is one of the best 16 year olds out there. I also liked the rocker from North Carolina. Even though Simon didn't like them, he was really good. They are both strong candidates for the final 32.

But the you knew that the producers had saved something "special" for the end. And you knew it was going to be good because when they kept teasing it, they only showed the final contestant's legs. But even though you knew what was probably coming, it was quite the shock to see Zachary, who, for all intensive purposes, was a girl. He claimed he was a guy (and he probably really is), but looks like a girl, dresses like a girl, and sounds like a girl. And he was then upset that the judges didn't really know what to make of him. But don't get upset that people mistake you for a girl when you dress like that. And sorry, you didn't make it because you can't sing, not because you don't look like anyone else in the competition.

So, another two hour episode next week...and the previews look good. Oh boy...

No comments: