Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I wish you all could have been at my house tonight as I watched The Apprentice: Martha Stewart. Not because of the comfy couch or the fact that my husband made hot chocolate. No, it's because I was able to tell what would happen before it did. That's right boys and girls -- I predicted the future.

Ok, not really. It was really just a case of the editing telling us exactly what would happen before it did. First, about two seconds in to the task, Ryan decided that his "baseball player" idea would appeal to Song's clients, even though the execs told them that the target market was middle aged women. Hmmm. Sports commercial? Now, in my family we're all giant Red Sox fans. But even my baseball loving mom & aunt wouldn't really go for the sports commercial. And just in case we weren't positive that this was a bad idea, right after the first commercial break is Martha's piece of advice about meeting the needs of the customer. I think it was at this point that I looked at my hot chocolate making husband and said "So, Ryan's going home tonight."

I did like the move by the NBC folks who promote the show. I read several places that in tonight's episode "one of the candidates has a little too much to drink on the job." And in the previews they show Jim with a drink in his hand being generally goofy on the plane. But it wasn't Jim (and how funny was it that Dawna told the flight attendants not to serve him?) but Ryan. And he didn't just have one or two too many. Well, maybe one or two of each type. The same editors who made it clear who would go home in the first 5 minutes of the show were kind enough to show Ryan going to the fridge over and over and over. They even showed us scenes with Ryan coming up with his "brilliant" ideas with a beer in each hand. Come on. Anyone who went to college (or high school for some) knows that the ideas that seem great when you're drunk usually don't pan out too well the next morning.

So, we get to the conference room and we of course know that Matchstick has lost (because even if we aren't bright enough to pick up on the editing, we did see each of the ads). But the conference room was still fun because Jim just can't kiss enough butt. Did anyone but me hear him after Martha explained their reward exclaim "I love Scrabble!"? And speaking of Scrabble, how on earth can you be a well educated adult and never have played Scrabble? Or even grasp the concept? Oh Dawna.

Of course, when Ryan and Marcella walked back to the conference room, I said (I promise, I really did say this) "so we know Ryan's going home; it's now just a matter of whether or not Marcella goes too." And sure enough, I was right. I was glad that Martha commented on the alcohol issue. My goodness -- you're on national television. The fact that "the beers were free" is a horrible excuse. I so wish that this was Trump's Apprentice -- he would have either fired him right then and there or made some off the wall comment about enjoying a free beer.

With the interviews coming up, this should get interesting. There's no clear leader, especially when it comes to interviews. Dawna is probably a stronger candidate than Jim, but Jim can hang with them with an interview. My prediction? Bethenney & Dawna in the final.

No comments: