Thursday, December 15, 2005

I can't believe what I just saw on the finale of The Apprentice. It's been a few minutes, and my jaw is still hanging open. (really) Oh my goodness.

So, the biggest part of tonight's show was the commercials. Could NBC have crammed any more commercials down our throats? And they had to shoot back to the live scene in NY between each commercial. It was absurd. Why couldn't they just show us more of the events (which both looked good)? NBC -- this was a bad move.

Anyways, the two events were both really good. Randall, who will never start another day without checking the weather, bounced back from not having a "Plan B" relatively nicely. What I didn't understand was what would have happened if the weather had been nice. Would they have still had the auction? And there didn't seem like enough celebs there to play an actual softball game. I think that the rain was really a blessing in disguise, giving Randall an opportunity to showcase his speaking and fundraising skills. I don't think he would have had such a chance with the game.

At Rebecca's event, she bounced back very quickly from Joe Piscopo pulling out from the MC job. (although I don't understand why she didn't try to work it out with the union...I hope she did, that we just didn't see it) Rebecca's event was fantastic...the major snag was caused by Trump himself. And George was a remarkably good sport with the comedians. I wish there had been more of a focus on the charity. But I disagree with Trump that Rebecca should have just gone ahead with her fundraising against the wishes of Yahoo. If she had upset the Yahoo execs, he would have been annoyed with her on that end. This was really Yahoo's mistake, not Rebecca's; from the giant donation made by Yahoo during the live portion, I think they realized that as well. (it just couldn't have been publicity for them to have Yahoo execs saying that they wouldn't be comfortable asking their VIPs to give to the charity)

So, we get to the live portion of the boardroom, and my questions begin. What on earth got into Alla & Felisha? They were part of that whole "sorority girl clique" in the early episodes, and Rebecca wasn't part of it, but still. There's a point where you go from supporting Randall to making a fool of yourself on national television. I think most (including Trump) would agree that this season there really was no clear winner. For Alla to be going on and on about how Rebecca didn't derserve the job, spoke volumes about her (and Rebecca for that matter, who never turned around and said "I made it further than you, didn't I?"). And why didn't they show us who stood up when Randall asked the fired candidates who would hire him? And what was written in big letters on the piece of paper on the board room table in front of George.

Anyways, I would imagine that Randall and Rebecca had both gotten wind of the rumors that were circulating today that Trump was going to hire both of them. So they probably got a chance to think about what that would mean. I can imagine that they both wanted to win, not tie. So when Randall was hired, he got what he wanted -- he was the winner. Now here's where my jaw fell open. Trump called them both back, and asks Randall if he would hire Rebecca as well. Now, one of the reasons that Randall has been hired is because he "leads through kindness." But he tells Trump no -- he wants to be the only apprentice. WHAT????? You won. It doesn't hurt you or cost you anything to put in a good word for Rebecca. And you're not even guaranteed that he will offer Rebecca the job. Instead, we see a part of Randall's personality that didn't really come through on the show, and it's not pretty. If nothing else, Randall should have told Trump that he thought Rebecca would be an asset to the company, then launched into his "it's not 'the apprenti'" shpiel. After what was really a great season of the show, the last few minutes just left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyways, I can't wait to hear them both on the talk show circuit tomorrow.

Good luck to Martha on topping this one...

No comments: