Tuesday, November 07, 2006

where the heck did the blog go?

Ok, so I know that there have been almost no new posts in the past month. I am such a slacker. I have written a bunch, but was having internet problems, so I didn't get them uploaded. Then, in what can only be described as a most brilliant move, I deleted them. Ugh. So I am just going to start fresh. Sorry for all the lost time. And I really do appreciate the emails I've gotten asking where the blog went and what I thought about various episodes. I do have a lot of thoughts about my favorite shows...Survivor, Amazing Race, The Bachelor, and The Biggest Loser. But I am also fully aware that there is no way I can recreate all the posts I lost. Sigh... So a few thoughts to get us caught up (sort of)...

Survivor:Cook Islands: This has been and will always be my favorite show (reality or otherwise). And I've heard people talk about how they don't like this season as much. I was worried at first that the whole race thing was the sign that the show had jumped the shark. But I really like this season. The nay-sayers talk about the lack of villains, and that many of the characters are sort of just there. I agree that there aren't many people on this season to hate, especially now that Cao Boi is gone (thank goodness!). But there are enough people making stupid mistakes that there's always someone to root against at Tribal Council. And the lack of villains makes Tribal more interesting...they seem genuinely upset to vote off their friends. And other than that one early challenge that was a repeat from Palau, the challenges have been amazing. They are doing a great job of making each one a mix of physical and mental, and they are tough. Knowing the challenges are going to be that tough can totally change your strategy and outlook back at camp. I love Yul. He is such a nice guy, and with the hidden idol, he has to be a favorite to win. (who could beat him in the final two?) I also love Ozzy. I hated his early move to throw a challenge, but he may be the first castaway who can actually survive out there. He is amazing. I think his tribe may actually be gaining weight (ok, not really, but look at the difference between the weight loss of the two tribes). My ideal final four? Ozzy, Becky, Yul, & Candice. (yes, that Candice).

The Amazing Race
: Watching this season, there is little question of why The Amazing Race continues to win the Emmy year after year. The locations have been amazing. I always feel like I'm smarter for watching the show (I don't travel, so I'm actually getting to see the world through the show), and they're going to some really unique places. This may also be the first time where an alliance has held up like this. The "six pack" is playing a different game - one where alliances can help you through. But this isn't a game where people get voted off. So sticking with a 3 team alliance makes you only as fast as your slowest team. It has really showed the character of the Cho brothers - they are one of the finest examples of people with good character I've ever seen on tv. At first I thought that they were sticking with the alliance because they know they can beat the other two teams in the end. But now I think that they are just truly nice guys. And that's way better than a million dollars, right? The only team I've been sad to see go were Dave & Mary - I was just rooting for them to win. Now I'm rooting for the Cho brothers and the beauty queens. I'd be happy with either couple winning. One other note - do Rob & Kimberly remind anyone else of the "two assholes" skit from SNL? (we have to find the clue babe...)

The Bachelor
: Ok, I am fully aware that The Bachelor is rather demeaning to women. And it's really not a very good show. But I can't miss it. I love watching the dates. I love the rose ceremonies. And I love the teary rides home in the limo. This season's bachelor, while technically an Italian prince, seems like a down to earth guy. And there have been some real characters among the women. Yes, I'm talking about Erica, the first contestant who lists her occupation as "socialite," and was practically in tears over sharing a bedroom and not having a maid. I really like Sadie. She seems to be most compatible with Lorenzo, and is there for the right reasons. (did you see his face when Lisa came out in a wedding dress, and her friend explained her plan?)

The Biggest Loser
: I admit that I was first drawn to the show because there is nothing quite as captivating as fat people getting on a scale. But over the past few seasons I've gotten hooked on the show itself. There is something really inspiring about watching people take charge of their lives and change for the better. But this season isn't as good as the past few. I'm not totally sure why. I think that part of it is the new trainer. She's just not as good as Jillian. The show needs a "tough" trainer to balance out Bob. And I can't connect with a skinny girl like her tearing up about how she has body image issues. I'm also not really connected to the contestants this season as I was before. They all seem like really nice people, and there's almost no conflict between them. Great for them, not so great for tv. I do like the twist this season of "at home" contestants who have been working to get "back to the ranch." What I don't understand is why it seems like the "at home" folks have been working for longer than those at the ranch. Even if it's not the case, it really seems that way since the at home contestants have lost similar amounts to those at the ranch. I don't know how that's possible with the same amount of time, simply because those at the ranch are only dieting and exercising; the ones at home have to go to work, take care of family, etc. And while I understand that the contestants at the ranch are miffed that there are new contestants, I would be impressed that they have lost all that weight on their own (if they can lose that much on their own, imagine what they can lose with a trainer...I sure would want them on my team!).

One final show...did anyone catch the "Reality TV Awards" on the Fox Reality network. If you like to see drunk reality stars, be sure to catch this show (it's repeated every couple of days). The whole thing is cheesy and low rent (it took place at Mike Boogie's bar), but it gets sloppier and sloppier as the night goes on and the "stars" get drunker and drunker.

Ok, so I think we're caught up. I'll be watching election returns tonight (I'm a political junkie too!), then it's back to reality tv. Thank goodness!

No comments: