Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Final Rose on The Bachelor

Another season of The Bachelor, another season where I am rooting for the wrong girl. Someone out there could make money betting against me, I’m sure.

Last night’s finale of The Bachelor was better than most, even though it hasn’t been one of the best seasons ever. Turns out that being a princess doesn’t mean you’re not crazy. Yes, I know that a lot of the show has to do with editing, and I’m sure that Lorenzo’s mom was coached to bring out the crazier side of her personality. But palm reading? Really? And having both sets of parents and both girls to brunch at the same time? Even if this was really the producers’ idea, his mom was certainly on board. And the look on Lorenzo’s face as the brunch progressed was fabulous. No one likes brunch with the in-laws (both sets of parents in a room is always a recipe for disaster), and two sets of potential in-laws is really rough.

Speaking of editing, how much footage do you think they had of Jen’s parents that didn’t make them seem crazy? They were clearly trying to make it seem like there was no way he could pick her because of her parents. (either that, or they really are that crazy, and he likes it) And ABC did a really poor job of editing the rose ceremony scenes before the actual rose ceremony. They showed Lorenzo slipping the ring on a girl’s finger about a million times; then in the show we can see that Jen’s manicure matches that shot. Come on I know I’m a freak about these things, but I can’t be the only one who noticed. How hard would it have been to shoot him putting the ring on a staffer’s finger (with a drastically different manicure) just to throw us all off? As soon as I saw the shot of Jen’s fingers, I knew she was the one he picked.

And while I liked Jen, I was surprised that he didn’t choose Sadie. It seemed like they had more of a connection, though I know that the producers only show us what they want us to see. Watching how he kissed each of the girls, I was convinced that he would choose Sadie. Then again, if he honestly hadn’t made up his mind until the day before, maybe he really did have a connection with Sadie as well.

And Sadie. What a trooper. I really liked how she handled herself after Lorenzo told her that he would rather be with Jen (and what was up with that? There are much nicer ways he could have let her down. It was almost as if he looked at her and all of a sudden wasn’t so sure of his decision) She would be a great candidate to do a season of The Bachelorette. And I hope that she doesn’t have much personal backlash from being portrayed on television as “the virgin.”

So another season over, and another couple together (though with a promise ring, not engaged). I may have guessed wrong as to who Lorenzo would pick, but smart money would have them broken up by the premiere of the next season in the spring. (by the way, how do the previous bachelors feel when they announce that the next season features "the hottest bachelor yet"? Somewhere, Andrew Firestone just swore at the tv) I hope not – another “Trista & Ryan”-type wedding would be fun. Can’t wait to find out.

No comments: