Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Love Songs on Idol

What the heck is Andrea Bocelli doing on American Idol? Really. This show is one of my favorites, but it is so below him. He must be really hurting for record (CD?) sales. Although the producer that was with him really did give the contestants some good advice – I liked that he just told them how it was – no sugar-coating.

Katharine had the dreaded first spot tonight. Her clip show before she sang showed just how great of a singer she is…I don’t think anyone else in the competition could have busted out the opera with Andrea Bocelli like that (at least not as well as she did!). And even though her hair extensions creped me out, I really liked her performance. I totally disagreed with the judges – they really ripped into her. I understand that they didn’t like her song choice, but she sang it really well. Simon sometimes talks about how the show sounds different when he hears it back on tv…maybe it was something with the acoustics tonight, but I thought she sounded a lot better than they thought.

Elliott, who hasn’t been a judges favorite lately, actually moved Paula to tears. Now, he really was fantastic, but I think Paula might be drunk out of her mind to be crying like that. I just hope that Elliott’s singing can trump is somewhat lackluster charisma.

Speaking of a disconnect between personality and singing ability…oh Kellie. The judges hated your rendition of “Unchained Melody” (or, “that song from Ghost”), and I have to agree. The fact that she’s still in the competition proves that lots of guys vote for Idol. Lots of horny guys.

I liked Paris’s hair this week…not so much with her song choice. She sang it well, but it just wasn’t a great song for her.

I wonder what sort of options the contestants had for songs tonight. I know that they said love songs, but it seems like they’ve all chosen older ballads…nothing new, nothing up-tempo. I guess I understand the ballads, but I would have put money on someone singing a more current song like James Blunt’s “You’re Beautiful.” They have to choose from a large list of songs each week…I guess the songs on the list were all older.

I love Taylor – it was such a good performance. Of course, Randy hated it…I seriously think that there is something up with the acoustics tonight. Randy even said “maybe it’s just me”…I couldn’t agree more.

So, Chris gets to close the night, and it’s not looking good. I think I might be the only one out there that knows all the words to his song (I am such a nerd!), and who knows if he can sing ballads two weeks in a row. And did anyone else catch the bit with the producer before Chris sang? He said something about Chris maybe having the performance of his life…then the audio cut out, but before we cut back to Chris, you could see the producer start to say “but…”. What a vote of confidence. BUT…he sounded GREAT. And he looked hot all dressed up. Even Simon liked it. Hopefully he won’t be back in the bottom three for awhile.

So, it’s time to vote (and for some reason it sounded like Ryan’s mic was still on as he and Chris chit chatted over the first few recaps)…I think I’ll be voting for Chris and Katharine…that is if I can ever get through. Even with two lines I can’t get anything other than a busy signal. And if there is any justice at all, Kellie will be going home tomorrow.

No comments: