Thursday, April 06, 2006

American Inventor, or "Can You Guess What Comes Next?"

<span><american><$American Inventor$><mainorarchivepage><$BlogTitle$></mainorarchivepage><itempage><blogg<p><wbr>er><$American Inventor$></blogger><br />- <$BlogTitle$></itempage>

Another episode of American Inventor, another episode of not really understanding what is going on with the competition. I can’t believe I’m the only one who is annoyed with this…what is the next round that they keep passing people through to? Even in the previews for next week it’s unclear. It just looks like they’re giving their same presentations again – what’s the point in that? They’re trying to have the same format as American Idol, but it just doesn’t translate to this type of competition.

Even though the next round is a complete mystery, some of the inventions on tonight’s show were intriguing. I really liked the character bear; in fact, I hope that it goes to market so I can buy one. As a teacher, I know that there really isn’t anything like it out there, and there is certainly the need. I like that it combines the very popular Build-a-Bear concept with something that actually makes a difference. Love it.

I also liked the dial-a-cup. Of course, it might have had something to do with the whole bada-bing guy. But I think it really is a good idea. Trust me – I’m a coffee addict!

Of course, there were plenty of not-so-great ideas as well. Like the woman dressed as a centerpiece – she was so focused on starting her speech over and over that I could never really tell what her product was. And the remote leash? It’s the equivalent of someone inventing a cord for cordless phones so you won’t lose them.

One other question – so many people talk about the hundreds of thousands of dollars that they spend on their inventions…what does that money go towards? Like the woman who spent $300,000 on her torn t-shirt invention (the thing that goes under your bra…I couldn’t even tell what it was…). What are you spending that much money on? And where does that money come from? It doesn’t make much sense.

So next week we’ll get to find out what that mystical second round is all about. And if they have to form groups to sing a song that they write, well…

No comments: