Monday, September 18, 2006

Expect the Unexpected on The Amazing Race

The Amazing Race is back, and oh is it good.

There are almost too many teams to root for. My early impressions…

I love Peter and Sarah. After so many teams (and maybe a few on this season) with boyfriends/husbands being really horrible to their girlfriends/wives, their relationship is so refreshing. He was so supportive of her going up the Wall; I kid you not that I was almost moved to tears. I also wasn’t offended by the fact that Sarah used her fake leg to get her on the plane early & help with finding a taxi. Things like that just even things out a big. Good for her for being confident enough to do that.

Another team I really like are Duke & Lauren. At the beginning I was thinking I would like them because of the inevitable arguments (did he really say that he was disappointed in her because she’s gay?). But I was impressed with how supportive they were of each other – I think they are a favorite for the final three. I think that Tyler & James will also go far – they are a strong team, and a force to be reckoned with. They just have to be sure to not get overly-confident.

Not a favorite? The moms from Alabama (Lyn & Karlyn). I admire their spunk, but they need to worry about themselves, not so much with talking smack about other teams. Erwin & Godwin annoy me as well. Did they really have water guns in the airport? I am SHOCKED that they weren’t detained or arrested. (but I loved the reaction of Tyler & James!)

The first leg was great. And while I didn’t like the use of the phrase “expect the unexpected” (a staple on Big Brother), it was a HUGE shock to see Bilal & Sa'eed eliminated in the middle of the first leg. I knew that there was going to be some show with a double elimination (they started with 12 teams instead of the usual 11), but would never have thought it would be so soon. That, and I was bummed that it was Bilal & Sa'eed who got the early boot. They seemed like really nice guys, and I so wanted to see them going through security. You just knew that they would be hassled…what with buying one way tickets a few hours before the flights take off. It’s sad, but true. I also liked that the first leg started in China. The vast majority of first legs have been in South America…there were a few in Europe and one in Virginia (the family edition). Going to China is not only a whole new continent to start on, but is a HUGE difference in time change & the accompanying jet lag.

In the end, I was glad to see David & Mary make it up the wall and stay in the race. And I was sad to see Vipul & Arti be the second team eliminated from the race. They were another team that seemed nice, yet we’re stuck with another week of beauty queens, cheerleaders, and Rob & Kimberly. So sad.

Some predictions for this season…Tyler & James, Duke & Lauren, and Peter & Sarah are the strongest teams. I also like Tom & Terry, since they seem to be flying under the radar a bit. Teams that I think will struggle a bit and lag behind are Erwin & Godwin and Rob & Kimberly. Mary & David may also struggle, but I’m hoping that they pull something out to stick around for awhile. Can’t wait for next week!

No comments: