Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Biggest Loser Returns

Last night’s premiere of The Biggest Loser was excellent. Because I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. In the words of my friend Jim, there is nothing so captivating as watching fat people on a scale. Only in America.

This season started with a twist – 50 contestants, one from each state, who would be narrowed down to 14 after the first workout. It was kind of sad, watching all these morbidly obese people crying. They thought that they were coming to the ranch for actual help losing weight – instead they were sent home with a book, a dvd, and access to the same website that anyone in America can get to (for a small fee, of course). While it may have been good tv, it was just mean. Yes, I know that they are technically still in the competition, and someone will be headed back to the ranch, but it’s still mean. If they could lose weight on their own, wouldn’t they already be skinny?

Anyways, Bob is back, and hotter than ever. Whoo – I could watch him all day. And a new trainer. I wonder what happened to Jillian. Did she decide to not come back? Was she not asked back? Either way, the new trainer seems tough.

So far, I’m rooting for the blue team. And not just because of Bob – they seem to be far more together than the red team. I especially like Bobby & Amy – they seem like the two who could go to the end. On the red team, I like Kai and Pam. This could definitely be the year when a woman wins The Biggest Loser. And regardless of what happens, this continues to be one of the most inspiring shows on television.

No comments: