Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Elvis Lives on American Idol

As promised last week, the American Idol contestants were whisked away to Graceland to prepare for, that’s right, Elvis night. You heard me, Elvis night. Oh dear.

Taylor’s first choice, “Jailhouse Rock,” may have been his best song choice of the competition. It was perfect for him, and he did a great job singing it. He was back to being crazy (but not too crazy…no lying down on the stage tonight…), and he was really entertaining. He set the bar for tonight’s show very high – good for him. I didn’t understand Simon’s criticism. Of course it was a bad Elvis impersonation – that’s what they’ve asked all of the contestants to do tonight. I’m not sure I totally agree with the judges about his second song. It was good, but I don’t think it was the best.

Chris isn’t the only one who loves “Suspicious Minds.” And it was a great choice for him. I loved it. (I know, I know, I always love him…what do you want from me?) Even Simon liked it – that’s fantastic. His second performance wasn’t quite as good. And he did the whole “Bo-Bice-carry-the-mic-stand-around” thing, which bugs me. But it was definitely good enough to get him through to the next round. Well, at least I hope so…

Elliott’s first song was a really obscure choice. So his song just sounded good – not like he was doing Elvis. I think that how good Elliott is sometimes gets lost in the shuffle – he is really really good. His second performance was even better than the first. And I agree with Simon – he came into tonight as the underdog, and showed tonight why he deserves to continue on.

Oh Katharine. She may be the best overall singer left in the competition. But tonight’s theme was really rough for her. Her first song was, well, strange. People are always talking about her personality (or lack thereof), so it was odd to see her dancing around. It was ok vocally; I agree with Simon that she is lucky that she has two songs tonight. Of course, that’s what he said last week, and she ended up in the top two, so we know she can handle this position. Of course, that was when she got to choose that second song. (which, by the way, is getting all sorts of radio play since Katharine covered it last week…). Tonight it was just more Elvis. And while it was a good performance, it certainly wasn’t her best.

This may be the first top four where there’s no clear winner and loser. They’re all so good…it’s almost a shame that they’re up against each other. Any one of them could have beaten Fantasia or Carrie (sorry Fantasia and Carrie…but have you heard these four??). I have no prediction for the top three, and I wouldn’t be surprised with any combination at the top. And since I haven’t been able to get through for the past few weeks, guess it’s all up to you America. Vote well.

No comments: