Tuesday, May 22, 2007

American Idol Finale (part 1)

It's time for the finale on American Idol...my, how time flies. Before we get started with the singing, there was a very interesting article in The Washington Post today about this season of Idol. The ratings are way down this season, mostly because of how this season was cast. There weren't a lot of people to get behind. This group of contestants was also very savy - they knew that they really just needed to make the top 10 so they could go on tour. I'm sure it's online somewhere - you should check it out if you get the chance.

So on to the singing. Blake won the coin toss, and elected to let Jordin choose to sing second. Poor choice, but lends credence to the fact that Blake knows he doesn't have to win to have a successful career. Smart kid. He started off the show with his favorite song from the season, his version of Bon Jovi's "Bad Name." It rocked the first time, and was completely the right song to choose, but not quite as good as the first time. I did love his second song, another by Maroon 5. He sounded great, but I do wish he had chosen an up-tempo song. He finished off with this season's Idol-ballad. I know they have to just sing it, and he did it pretty well. I hated the song, and I think Blake did too. Maybe that's why he doesn't care if he wins - the winner has to record this song as their first single. Yuck.

Jordin started off with a Christina Aguilera song. She is a much better singer than Blake, but I agree with Simon - she's not quite as good a performer. Her second song, her Martina McBride song from country week was a great choice. I loved it when she sang it then, and she sang it even better this time. Her last song, the Idol-ballad was good too. I think she did a better job with it than Blake (actually, a much better job than Blake), but I'm more and more convinced that he's ok with that. And she really does deserve to win.

So we'll find out the results tomorrow. And I have no idea who will win. Jordin is a much better singer, but I think Blake has a bigger fan base. It should be interesting.

No comments: